Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Website access

chgoflyer
Aviator A

They just keep saying that it's an issue they are working on. Clearly, that's not actually true. It's been literally years now with no resolution. The most inept IT department in the world doesn't;t take multiple years to fix something.

You can try using a proxy server or VPN (google for more info) or the app, which sometimes works.

Sadly, I think Southwest simply doesn't put a priority on your business, and the correct course of action is to give your money to the carriers who do.

fsafasasdlk
Explorer C

Over a year later and this is still happening. Lindsey, who's working hard to fix the issue? How hard are they working?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@fsafasasdlk,

I can understand that it is frustrating to have seen more than year go by without change to this situation, and I'm sorry. Our goal is for this Community to be a place where people can share stories, ideas, questions, and suggestions. In many cases, we are able to provide answers, resolution, and good conversation with relative speed. But some issues are more complicated, and this is one of them. 

Our Leaders are aware of the situation, and while I don't have an ETA on a fix, I do want to emphasize that your concerns have been heard, and that an alternative we do have in place that is always available is to book your travel by phone by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA. I truly am sorry for any inconvenience this has created for our Customers abroad. 

Hankgirl
Explorer C

I live in NA using SW all the time and I've never once had a problem with the website until today.  I am getting the same server access denied message as those outside of the country.  Am I actually reading this correctly that in order to book a flight now I'd have to call or use my phone moving forward?  

boydb
Explorer C

I am in Texas.  I have been a SWA passenger and shareholder for over 25 years.  1-1-18 I was suddenly hit with "access denied."  My wife also on her computer.  We each use our iPhones as "hot spots" for computer internet access, separate phone numbers.  We can access SWA using our iPhone apps.  That is only half satisfactory.  Why can't SWA fix the general "access denied" problem?   I prefer using my laptop computer over using the iPhone for booking.  The answers from SWA I have seen in reviewing about 18 months of the issue on this forum are evasive, inconclusive and nonhelpful.    I just now tried "Flights" from the swacommunity home page and was again denied access.  Seem like SWA should welcome prospective sales, not close the door on us.

ebliss
Explorer C

This is no longer an "abroad" problem.  I am located in GA and can no longer access your website using Chrome, IE or even the APP.  Looking at the history of this problem, with no solution or alternative but to "call", I will most definitely be looking for other flying options.  Its absurd that your company cannot fix and issue that is impacting flyers worldwide, and expect your answer to call Southwest to be an acceptable option. 

dsiegfried
Explorer C

This isn't just a customer abroad issue and it seems to be happening again and again. Fix it!! And no I don't want to call. I shouldn't have to call. That is what the website is for. I also don't want to have to call to "check in" and I don't feel like spending $15 to early bird. I live in the US and it is happening with my computer, my wife's and several other friends. The mobile website is no better and one theme that I have noticed is that if verizon is the carrier, it definitely doesn't work. I also have changed proxies and VPN and still doesn't work

asiantraveler
Explorer C

Sorry but I have built IT systems and don't see what the big deal is here.  

If you're intending to block foreign access, just say so.  But to say that you're working on it, makes zero sense.  Clearly YOUR servers are blocking attempts to access your site.

I live in China and travel the US regularly.  I don't understand why EVERY other US airline allows me to access and book flights while yours does not.

Please give us an honest answer.

Eric

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You're not going to get an "honest answer" from customer service, because the honest answer most likely is, "Our IT people claim they are working on it, so that's what we have to say, when in reality it's so very far down the priority list for our already overwhelmed and often inept IT team that it's not really being 'worked on' and likely won't change anytime soon, until perhaps the point at which a fix to some other part of our web service systems happens to also fix the international access issue."

😉

jetway
Explorer C

This is the funniest and weirdest topic i have ever seen. Never seen any website block traffic coming from abroad. I cannot access the Website and i live in Switzerland. So IT is working on it? Oh really? They have been working on it for years LMAO. Well if you guys don't want business easy. There are tons of other possibilites. You are hurting yourself.