Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: What constitutes "oversize" luggage?

jacelewis
Explorer C

06/04/2017. I spoke with one of the telephone folks a couple of weeks ago with the same question regarding the wheels on luggage. Same issue... was buying some new luggage and the height was list as 29". The wheels add an additional 2". The Southwest rep had to look high and low to find the answer... found it in her guide or manual... stated the dimensions DO NOT include the wheels or handles. The new luggage is below the 62" allowance not including the wheels. Please advise. Leaving on that big bird in 10 days... not looking for any unpleasant surprises. Thanks.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @jacelewis,

This is a great question - thanks for asking! I reached out to our Customer Service policy group for some insight, and they verified that handles and wheels do NOT count in the overall dimensions because they are considered "protruding parts." So, you are all set to go!

lkzhong
Explorer C

In terms of checked luggages, can we use non-rectangular shaped luggages? I'm looking to use a bag to store a comforter/blanket for my cross-country move. Since it's round in shape, I'm not entirely sure as to how I should measure for the 62 inches.

cbrodhacker
Explorer C

@LindseyDDo the wheels count toward the 62 inches? 

vloverde
Explorer C

Lindsey,

Re: luggage dimensions and wheels.

You have given 2 different answers to this question (1/4/17 and 6/6/17).

Are the wheels included in calculating the overall dimension (L+W+H) limit of less than 62 inches for checked baggage?

Please clarify the *current* rules for ticketed flight Feb 17, 2018.

Thanks!

bakerczirr
Explorer C

did you get a reply regarding the wheels?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Wheels (and handles, etc.) do NOT count.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@bakerczirr

See @chgoflyer's response and my response earlier in this thread. Handles and wheels do not count. 

LesleyLW
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey,

I have as suitcase that measures 24x16x11, do you think it will still qualify as a carryon?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@LesleyLW wrote:

Hi Lindsey,

I have as suitcase that measures 24x16x11, do you think it will still qualify as a carryon?

Hi. The official answer is that carry ons must not exced 24x16x10. The unofficial answer from a fellow traveller is that one inch won't make any difference. Just don't put it in the baggage sizer at the gate.