Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What does it take to get a refund?

Phalcon7
Explorer C

My flight was set before the COVID19 virus landed in this country. Now that I am in the middle of doing what my government is asking me to do, all things are upside down. The governments actions have canceled my plans to fly and Southwest seems to care less.  I appreciate the offer of the much lower valued Voucher (my offer from Southwest was $200.00 less than I paid for my travel plans), but I can't buy gas, or food with a Voucher... and giving me 1000 points (valued at between $13 & $15 dollars) doesn't add up to the $50 dollars I spent on Early Bird boarding.  Southwest is not reaching out to me as a loyal customer to answer any of my concerns regarding "My" situation. They just want me to quietly go away. Right now Southwest Airlines feels like the Virus I have to avoid... Maybe seeing United Airlines being dragged into a Class Action lawsuit will wake Southwest up... Ya think?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: What does it take to get a refund?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution
Spoiler

@Phalcon7 wrote:

Well, the first thing it takes is Southwest cancelling your flight. When that happens , you may have to demand a refund, but you'll get one. Early bird is automatically refunded in this case.

If you cancel, the airline will give you a travel fund in the amount of the FULL VALUE of your ticket. (that's what every other airline is doing) with a 6/30/21 expiration date.

As far as early bird goes, if you demand a voucher instead of RR points, you'll get one.

KYTransplant
Explorer C

I have no intention of flying into Texas in five weeks even if the stay-at-home order is lifted.  My husband and I are in our late 60's and we are not willing to take the risk.  I cancelled our flights yesterday and the points were immediately put back into my Rapid Rewards account.  Since I have never paid the extra money for early boarding before, I was dismayed to find out that I will be out the $80 we paid for this.  I'm assuming I will have the 9-11 fee refunded.  I have reached out to Southwest, but have not heard anything yet.  I also booked a car through Southwest and am assuming this was cancelled when I cancelled our flights, but cannot get confirmation of this from Southwest either.  When I book another flight on Southwest, I will know not to take a chance on losing money by paying for early boarding.  Very disappointed in Southwest.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@KYTransplant wrote:

Since I have never paid the extra money for early boarding before, I was dismayed to find out that I will be out the $80 we paid for this.  I'm assuming I will have the 9-11 fee refunded.     

Actually Southwest has revised it's policy and will refund your $80 as a voucher. You will have to contact the airline and demand it. Also all fees will be refunded to  whatever source you used to pay them

@o whatever ins@   

I also booked a car through Southwest and am assuming this was cancelled when I cancelled our flights, but cannot get confirmation of this from Southwest either.  

No your rent car reservations was not cancelled when you cancelled your flight, as it was booked separately from your flight. It makes little difference if you simply no show for the car,

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@KYTransplant wrote:

Very disappointed in Southwest.

Lol, disappointed, yet will be getting a full refund of all points used to book the flight, a cash refund of the taxes, and a voucher for the $80 used to purchase a typically non-refundable EarlyBird Check-in.  It's unclear how you "reached out", but calling or contacting via live chat in the Southwest app or via private message on Twitter are your best bets to ask for a voucher for the EarlyBird charge, everything else is automatic.

And as @dfwskier mentioned, the rental car is a separate reservation that you typically don't need to cancel, unless you prepaid, then you would want to contact the rental company directly to see what they are willing to do.

--TheMiddleSeat