Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What if unable to fly do to positive COVID diagnosis?

mc8bt
Explorer C

So here's my situation.  Like many other posts that I've seen, I have to deal with a couple of soon-to-be expiring Travel Credits.  Because while SW was generous with extensions over the summer and I have numerous funds as part of that program, they seem to think that COVID has disappeared and all travel should return to normal, so these will either need to be used in the next month or so or I've just made a generous donation to SouthWest thanks to my having used a pre-existing fund to pay for 1/10th of the ticket price (I know the policy, I'm not trying to argue it).  I digress.  

What I haven't been able to find is what would happen if I can't fly because of a positive COVID test.  SW says in multiple places that anyone exhibiting symptoms or testing positive should not travel (obviously), but from what I've seen is silent on what will happen to travel funds should that happen.  I'm trying to use my credits as efficiently as possible, but if I have to take multiple trips in the next couple of months I just want to know if it's worth it to spread them out if I'll end up losing my funds in the event that I can't travel (so I can spread out that risk of loss), if I should book multiple trips in close proximity to each other, if I should book all in one trip, or if there's some other outcome that I haven't thought of.  

Thanks!  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: What if unable to fly do to positive COVID diagnosis?

dfwskier
Aviator A

What would happen is your  travel fund expiration dates would not be extended. If you have a non refundable ticket and cancel FOR ANY , then you get a travel fund that expires one year from the original date of purchase.

Southwest does allow you to convert a travel fund into a voucher after the TF expires. Cost is $100 per TF.. If you have multiple TFs , you can use them to buy a ticket which you then cancel  - thus turning multiple $100 fees into one of them.

The conversion must be requested within 6 months of a TF expiration. The voucher is useable by anyone and is good for 6 months.

mc8bt
Explorer C

I get that part, they're non-refundable, I'm not asking about a refund.  SW's policy states in bold letters "do not travel" if you have a fever, been diagnosed, etc etc, then advises to contact customer relations for assistance.  I was only asking to see if anyone has had experience with this and what their policies are as they're completely silent from what I can find.  

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

Why not just book a new flight with your soon to expire travel funds, and then cancel that flight, which should then reset your time period to use your (now new) travel funds. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@ipsedixit wrote:

Why not just book a new flight with your soon to expire travel funds, and then cancel that flight, which should then reset your time period to use your (now new) travel funds. 

If you apply travel funds to a new booking that new booking will take on the earliest expiration date of the travel funds applied. Example you book a flight on February 12th using a travel fund set to expire March 1st your new booking will expire March 1st 

-Blake