Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What is flight cancellation policy for ticket purchased with travel credit expired soon

Bluebuster77
Explorer C

What is flight cancellation policy for ticket purchased with travel credit that expired in first week of April 2020? 

I'm booked my flight to San Francisco-Orlando-New Orleans-Oakland combo trip with travel credit that expired on April 8th. Initially I have no plan to cancel but conronavirus situation seems no improving. What will be the best alternative? I’m not clear current SWA cancellation policy 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What is flight cancellation policy for ticket purchased with travel credit expired soon

FTCS
Explorer C

Great question! I'm in the same situation. My travel funds expire Apr 1st.

I just spoke with a Southwest telephone representative about an extension of these travel funds. There is a policy in place where Southwest will/may extend EXPIRED travel funds for six months. As relayed to me the cost is a reduction of the available travel funds by $100. You must request this extension by calling Southwest Customer Relations at 855-234-4654 (opt 5) after the expiration date.

Re: What is flight cancellation policy for ticket purchased with travel credit expired soon

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Bluebuster77 wrote:

What is flight cancellation policy for ticket purchased with travel credit that expired in first week of April 2020? 

I'm booked my flight to San Francisco-Orlando-New Orleans-Oakland combo trip with travel credit that expired on April 8th. Initially I have no plan to cancel but conronavirus situation seems no improving. What will be the best alternative? I’m not clear current SWA cancellation policy 

Unless changed, the policy is that travel fund expiration dates are not extendable. Stay tuned. There is enough uproar on the topic that it might change. No guarantees.

NOT CANCELLING NOW is the smart thing to do. Why?

1) If SW cancels your flight, you can ge a refund

2) SW and a bunch of others have announced plans to drastically cut the number of flights.

SO, I'd wait til maybe the day before departure to cancel a flight.