Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What's going on with flights? Have a young traveler flying solo & need info!!

jlopez305619
Explorer C

Can I get some info on what kind of problems SWA is having? My son is 13 and flying by himself. His flight is sitting on the runway right now and have been for over 30 minutes. The airport didn't have much information and I'm on hold with SWA with a wait time of 58 minutes. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! (Worried/Stressed mom over here!!)

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What's going on with flights? Have a young traveler flying solo & need info!!

CoyoteMan
Explorer C

Southwest has been hacked and the whole system is dead. Other carriers might be as well. All flights that are not currently airborne are grounded until further notice

Re: What's going on with flights? Have a young traveler flying solo & need info!!

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

@CoyoteMan wrote:

Southwest has been hacked and the whole system is dead. Other carriers might be as well. All flights that are not currently airborne are grounded until further notice

No, that's not even close to true. What is true is that the third party Southwest (and others) use for weather data was experiencing performance issues and as such caused planes to be grounded, and similar problems were happening today. According to Flight Aware, about 30% of flights have been delayed or cancelled today. That's nowhere close to the whole system / fleet. 

More info: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/southwest-alaska-airlines-delta-outage/index.html 

To the OP: Your son's flight was likely delayed due to this issue. 

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

Did you Google the flight number?   (WN #####)