Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wheel chair assistance with walker and carry on luggae

gatorjohn
Explorer C

I am traveling from Albany, NY to Raleigh with plane change at BWI. I want to bring my walker and carry on luggage with me on the plane. Will I be able to use wheel chair assistance and bring my walker and luggage with me, can the skycap manange this?

Thnks

John

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Wheel chair assistance with walker and carry on luggae

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi John,

Thanks for posting on the Southwest Community! Yes, you can bring your walker and your carryon luggage with you on the plane. When you make your reservation, make sure to specify that you require wheelchair assistance. Then, when you arrive at the airport, verbally alert the Customer Service Agent or Skycap that you need assistance so they can verify it against your reservation. We'll make sure you are taken care of! 

mommieswamie
Explorer C

I am traveling from GSP to MCO with a change in ATL round trip.  My reservation is confirmed wheelchair assistance for all flights.  I am also TSA Precheck.  I will have my carryon luggage and personal item with me.  I have traveled with SW many times like this and know the drill.  But now I will need to take my walker too but I do not need it on and off the planes or in the connecting airport.  Can I safely check a walker?  It does fold up slightly but it is not the standard medical looking silver walker.  It is more like a rollator with a pulldown seat, if needed.  It would not survive being thrown in with a lot of luggage.  How can I safely check this?  I have seen such items checked at the door of the plane, but I cannot imagine how to manage me in a wheelchair, a small carryon bag, my personal item and a walker all getting to the door of the plane, plus I do not need it in the Atlanta airport.  Thanks so much.

Mjhcampbell
Explorer C

I need the answer to the can you check a walker without it being destroyed.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Mjhcampbell wrote:

I need the answer to the can you check a walker without it being destroyed.

I don't know if your question was ever answered - let us know how it went.

I have seen walkers in the gate check section, and I supposed they could also be curbside or checked at the ticket counter. I'm not sure about the durability issues of your particular model though. My experience is mostly with baby gear which gets some bruises but so far has survived.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Klarima14
Explorer C

On the 17th of August, 2018 I used Southwest for my very first time... As a credit card holder with you, I decided to try your service. On that Friday, the 17th. I have had a very bad experience with this Mexican woman. (Who assisted me with the wheelchair).. Even though I already gave her a $10.00 ( Dollars) bill...no pesos. She was asking for more tip when I mentioned that I was goin to Aeromexico... I said alright, and gave her another $5.00 Dollars... No pesos... I was soo soo stupid because I gave her the $$$ before We arrived to my Aeromexico counter.... And suddenly she SAID... OH YOU KNOW WHAT...?? I CAN'T GO THE AIR TRAIN... YOU MUST GO BY YOURSELF... I WAS SOO , SOO DISAPPOINTED WITH 1 BAG, CARRY ON, AND MY BACKPACK... SHE LEFT ME THERE ON THE WAY TO THE AIR TRAIN... HALF WAY.... I NEED YOU TO KNOW WAS GOING ON WITH THESE PEOPLE... BECAUSE WE ARE COMING FROM OUTSIDE OF MEXICO... IST NOT A RESAON TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF US...?? PLEASE... PLEASE.... TALK TO HER SUPERVISOR... THANKS A LOT.... CLARA M. PERAZA ATL- Houston- Mex 8/17/18 10. Am Departure.... 3:15 arrived Mx. KLARIMA: 404 838 6960 Accountant, Notary Public, & Translator, English/ Spanish in Atlanta. Since 1998. On Tue, May 29, 2018, 3:47 PM <no-reply@customercommunications.com

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Klarima14 wrote:

On the 17th of August, 2018 I used Southwest for my very first time... As a credit card holder with you, I decided to try your service. On that Friday, the 17th. I have had a very bad experience with this Mexican woman. (Who assisted me with the wheelchair).. Even though I already gave her a $10.00 ( Dollars) bill...no pesos. She was asking for more tip when I mentioned that I was goin to Aeromexico... I said alright, and gave her another $5.00 Dollars... No pesos... I was soo soo stupid because I gave her the $$$ before We arrived to my Aeromexico counter.... And suddenly she SAID... OH YOU KNOW WHAT...?? I CAN'T GO THE AIR TRAIN... YOU MUST GO BY YOURSELF... I WAS SOO , SOO DISAPPOINTED WITH 1 BAG, CARRY ON, AND MY BACKPACK... SHE LEFT ME THERE ON THE WAY TO THE AIR TRAIN... HALF WAY.... I NEED YOU TO KNOW WAS GOING ON WITH THESE PEOPLE... BECAUSE WE ARE COMING FROM OUTSIDE OF MEXICO... IST NOT A RESAON TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF US...?? PLEASE... PLEASE.... TALK TO HER SUPERVISOR... THANKS A LOT.... CLARA M. PERAZA ATL- Houston- Mex 8/17/18 10. Am Departure.... 3:15 arrived Mx. KLARIMA: 404 838 6960 Accountant, Notary Public, & Translator, English/ Spanish in Atlanta. Since 1998. On Tue, May 29, 2018, 3:47 PM <no-reply@customercommunications.com

Hello. I'm sorry to hear that you were taken advantage of.

I presume this happened at an airport in Mexico, and you were returning to the US. So this person was "helping" you get to the plane. Normally people heping someone get to the plane are  airport employees, or maybe not employed by anyone (but trying to take advantage of a passenger). If that's the case, there really isn't a Southwest employee who needs counselling. Maybe You could lodge a complaint with the airport.

I am confused over one thing you said. you said "She was asking for more tip when I mentioned that I was goin to Aeromexico." Did you mean t say Southwest?

Hope your future travels are better.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Klarima14,

The Southwest Community is a Customer-to-Customer discussion forum. This sounds like a situation that would be better addressed by one of our Customer Service Representatives, which you can reach on Twitter (@SouthwestAir) or on the phone at 1-855-234-4654.