Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

When do my travel funds expire??

bbowman7
Explorer C

Okay, I keep getting conflicting information and I found this forum with hopes of getting some correct answers.

I booked a trip to Colorado on September 6, 2020.  The trip is scheduled for December 20-26.  However, I think I need to cancel due to Covid and the ski resorts not opening up much. I think it will just get worse in the next few weeks unfortunately.

So, if I booked on September 6, but flight is scheduled for December and I cancel the flight today, or sometime this week, how long would my funds be available? One year from purchase date or 2022?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: When do my travel funds expire??

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bbowman7 wrote:

Okay, I keep getting conflicting information and I found this forum with hopes of getting some correct answers.

I booked a trip to Colorado on September 6, 2020.  The trip is scheduled for December 20-26.  However, I think I need to cancel due to Covid and the ski resorts not opening up much. I think it will just get worse in the next few weeks unfortunately.

So, if I booked on September 6, but flight is scheduled for December and I cancel the flight today, or sometime this week, how long would my funds be available? One year from purchase date or 2022?

Thank you in advance.

If you paid cash on September 6, 2020 the  your travel funds would expire on September 6, 2021.

If you used travel funds to buy that ticket, then the expiration date would revert to whatever date the travel fund is due to expire.

The 2022 date would apply only to reservations cancelled by 9/7/20.

Re: When do my travel funds expire??

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You can always check the specific expiration date of any travel funds here:

Check Travel Funds