Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why are my travel funds expiring so soon??

jj1814
Adventurer C

On August 7, 2019 I booked two one-way tickets for my fiance and I from Memphis to Fort Lauderdale using $164 in travel funds for each ticket (from a cancelled June 5, 2019 booking) + $23 cash each .

Why do the travel funds from the August booking expire on November 19, 2019 (per the confirmation email)?? I thought travel funds were good for a year.

Additionally, if they expire on November 19, why could I not use those funds toward a trip I booked last night for Nov 16-19? During booking it told me that I couldn't use them because they expire before the trip is complete.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why are my travel funds expiring so soon??

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Travel funds expire 1 year from the original date of purchase of the oldest travel fund applied to your reservation. So if you booked your June trip on November 19th and cancelled it when you apply those funds to a new reservation that new reservation will also expire on November 19th any additional money you pay to this new reservation will also expire on November 19th so you wont get a full year for that portion. 

Does your flight on the 19th get in after mightnight (morning of the 20th) I wonder if that might be why you can't use the travel fund. I would also try a reservation on the 18th and see if it works if so then you may have to complete travel by the end of the day on the 18th instead of 19th. 

-Blake

jj1814
Adventurer C

So basically they reached all the way back to my Montego Bay reservation that I made on November 21, 2018.

The funds are still expiring a day or two early. As a matter of fact, the confirmation on original booking says they Expire on Nov 21 2019. The travel funds lookup tool says Nov 19. My flight on Nov 19 leaves around 7 AM that morning and gets in at 8:30 AM

I might call. I don't want to lose $25 over 1 day lol

jj1814
Adventurer C
Solution

This is an FYI to anyone who comes across this or is interested.. I ended up reaching out to support via Twitter and they responded with the following:

"Thank you for your patience. After taking a further look into your reservation and reaching to our Technology Team, there seems to be a known error within our systems that is causing travel funds expiration date to decrease each time you make a change......."

Watch those expiration dates a little more closely, folks!

jksobonya
Aviator A

^Oh that's interesting! Thanks for pointing that out!

--Jessica

bec102896
Aviator A

@jj1814 

were they able to get you booked on the 19th then because of the glitch?

thanks for sharing the info you got from Twitter hopefully this will help anyone else who comes here with the same problem. 

-Blake 

jj1814
Adventurer C

@bec102896  Since I had already booked the travel, they refunded the remaining travel funds to my credit card 🙂

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Hey, sorry I'm late to the conversation. Yes, this is a known issue. The system apparently knocks a day off each time you make a change. This can be an issue when you're cutting things close. Luckily, a call to Customer Relations can help.