Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why arent you guys doing temperature checks?

Moneemaker20
Explorer C

Hi Southwest,

I am just curious on why you are not checking temperatures like hotels are before people board? 

They have machines where you can literally walk past it, and it takes your temp without a temp gun being pointed at your head or arm? 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Why arent you guys doing temperature checks?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Is any domestic airline doing this?  I suspect no one wants to take liability for anything or deal with the hassle of doing it for thousands of people a day.  I've thought it would be better for TSA to handle this as part of the security screening process, but again, they won't do it unless it is specifically mandated.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

The only airline I see checking temperatures is Frontier. With hotels I have spend at least 25 nights in hotels since June and only 1 hotel check temperatures and that was in Vegas no other hotel has checked my temperature before checking in. 

With checking temperatures my rebuttal is that if I had a fever what would stop me from taking a fever reducer before the temperature screening? Nothing so I could have the fever but get it just low enough to pass and board the flight or check in to the hotel. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Early in the pandemic, the domestic airlines together lobbied the White House in an attempt to have TSA take on the responsibility of temperature checks as part of the security screening process. The White House, obviously, refused to implement temperature checks, or even mask mandates for that matter. Airlines don't want to take on that responsibility for a number of reasons, not the least of which includes the expense and staff training required. For what it's worth, Southwest does require each passenger to take their own temperature prior to travel, and agree that they currently do not have a fever as part of the online check-in process.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Moneemaker20   I have to agree with Blake.  Since March I've stayed at least 20 hotels and, only 1 has taken my temperature.   Now with that said, I also think that should be the responsibility of TSA, not any airlines.  I'd even say the airport, as you enter you get checked, any issues, they **bleep** it in the bud right away.  By the time I get to TSA, I've already been at the ticket counter, checked bags, been to the restroom, touched the handrail on the escalator, and so on.   

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Lol, the first time I've been bleeped.  didn't know that word was on the banned list.  Now I know.  

AvKrayez
Explorer A

Some airports do it before passengers get in line for security. I know they do at DAL, or at least did during the 4 trips I took in August and September. I’d only assume they still do. I’ll see on Monday morning when I fly out. However, many of the smaller, slower stations I’ve been through do not. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@AvKrayez If you're talking about Dallas Love Field, I've flown out of there in Sept, Oct, and Nov.  No temperature checks at all for my SWA flights.  Also connecting flight via Houston didn't do temp checks either.  I'm just posting this to give my experience.  I'm all for temperature checks, but from what I hear, it's not a priority for many airports and airlines. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

@

Agree. I've had 8 flights out of DAL since May, and not one temp check.

AvKrayez
Explorer A

Just for clarification I was referring to the thermal camera system they were testing through that time span. Granted, the initial usage was for research and refinement of the system.