Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why is Southwest not extending the expiration on LUV vouchers as they are on other travel funds?

ChrisC
Explorer C

We have LUV vouchers that are set to expire in August and are reluctant to fly.  Does anyone know why Southwest is extending the expiration for other travel funds but not LUV vouchers.  We are definitely not feeling the LUV from Southwest.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why is Southwest not extending the expiration on LUV vouchers as they are on other travel funds?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can use your vouchers to buy tickets and then cancel those tickets . The resultant travel funds will be good thru 9/7/22.

The  difference is that vouchers can be used to buy anyone a ticket while travel funds must be used by the named traveler. 

Re: Why is Southwest not extending the expiration on LUV vouchers as they are on other travel funds?

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

The  difference is that vouchers can be used to buy anyone a ticket while travel funds must be used by the named traveler. 

Keep in mind once you use the voucher those funds remain with the ticketed passenger and you lose the ability to use the funds on someone else. 

karcrec
Explorer C

Hi, I was just told by their rep David that I have 6 months AFTER the expiration date to use LUV vouchers. I doubted his advice since I was told  in May that I HAD to call by 8/6 (the expiration date.) I had him check with his supervisor who reiterated that fact. I asked him to send me something in writing though which he said he could not. Hopefully, they will still be valid in 6 months!  😞 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have never heard of vouchers being extended.

You can extended the value yourself by using your voucher to buy a ticket, and then canceling that ticket before 9/7/20. That would result in a travel fund good thru 9/7/22. 

The downside: vouchers can be used by anyone. Travel funds can only be used by the person whose name was on the ticket that was cancelled.

SCRUBMOM
Explorer B

Long story but you can book a flight using Luv voucher funds, cancel 48 hrs later and the $$ will become Travel Funds....NEW****  See info concerning new ability to convert  Travel Funds to Reward Points which would have NO EXP and can be used for ANYONE'S travel!!!!!!