Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Will Cost Of Flights Increase?

hfj17002
Explorer C

Hello,

I had a trip booked to Cancun through SW vacations in Jun that was canceled. Reading the info on their page, it seems like they only want to offer travel credit on flights instead of a refund.  Does anyone know if they are obligated to offer a refund since they are technically a separate company from SW?

Back to my original question, if I do take the future travel credit, how does that work?  If I travel to the same destination, is there no change in cost?  If not, what do you think will happen as far as air fares?  Everyone will have travel credit that must be used, so will fares go up causing us to have to spend more money out of pocket? This is all so confusing, especially since a lot of the info I've read has very little details.  I'll end up calling in the near future because they aren't responding to emails, & I'm not look forward to being on hold at the moment.  I'm also curious if I'll be able to push my final payment date back?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Will Cost Of Flights Increase?

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hello,

Travel credit would work the same as travel credit for a canceled flight - let's say your travel credit was $500 for your tip. You can use this $500 for a future trip - obviously, depending on when you book, your trip might cost more than $500, or it might cost less. You won't know until you look at the new dates. If your trip costs $450, then your $500 credit will cover the trip with $50 left over to use on a different trip (by the expiration date). If your trip was $600, you would need to pay $100, and so on. 

Good luck on rescheduling! 

--Jessica

Re: Will Cost Of Flights Increase?

hfj17002
Explorer C

Thank you!  I'm curious if the price of air fare will increase since there will be so many people with air fare to use.