Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Will Vaccines be Required to Travel?

kjjeter1998
Explorer C

I'm planning to head up to CT in the middle of August, and have heard some different information regarding Covid policies.

My main question is, if at a later time it becomes mandatory to have a vaccine to travel, will I be able to get a refund on my ticket if it was non-refundable at the time of booking?

3 REPLIES 3

Will Vaccines be Required to Travel?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

If you're asking for a definitive answer, this is a customer-to-customer forum and you should direct your question to SWA customer relations directly.  If you're asking for a customer's opinion, I can answer from what I know.  Since you purchased a non-refundable ticket, you won't be refunded, but the ticket price will be placed in your travel rewards account.  Personally, it is my wish that SWA does require a vaccine travel requirement.  There are still 40,000 cases a day of COVID nationally, which is very high.  You have the right to get the vaccine or not, but as a business and company, at some point, SWA will have the ability to make their own mandates, but personally, I don't think this will be one. 

Re: Will Vaccines be Required to Travel?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's very unlikely that vaccination will ever be required for domestic air travel. Some destinations may accept vaccination proof in order to avoid quarantine, but you'll also be able to provide a negative test.

Personally, I'm vaccinated and am loving the freedom it allows.

Southwest will not give a refund on a non-refundable flight unless they cancel the flight (or significantly change the departure/arrival times). You would however receive full credit in the form of Travel Funds usable towards future travel.

Re: Will Vaccines be Required to Travel?

dfwskier
Aviator A

No one knows what the vaccine requirements might be in the future.

IMO airlines won't do it unless it's government requirement. What will the government do?

Your guess is as good as mine.

If you cancel a non-refundable ticket for any reason, you'll get a travel fund, not a refund.

That's a rule in purchasing a non refundable ticket.