Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Windsurfing gear

cinda389
Explorer C

I would like to know if I can travel with my Windsurf gear.  My Windsurf bag is obviously oversized at 96" x 28" x 6". As windsurfing gear is listed under special sports eqipment does that mean oversize is not an issue only over weight? Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Windsurfing gear

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@cinda389 I think this is the relevant portion of the Special Luggage (Sports Equipment section) wording, to include the $75 fee each way charge:

"Sports Equipment - Special Items

The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

• Surfboard/kiteboard, keels and fins must be removed and placed in carryon or checked baggage.
  • Wind surfing board, keel removed and placed in checked baggage to prevent damage to the sail, boom, and other baggage."

One other item to note is that depending on the time of year and destination there may be baggage embargos that limit special items.  Current (July 13, 2019) wording on the Baggage Polices page states:

"Baggage embargo: 
A baggage embargo is in effect for Passengers traveling to Havana (HAV). For specific information about the embargo at each destination, visit our airport information page."

For Havana when you go to the airport information page there is a red exclamation point icon.  When you click on the icon it states:

"Airport Alert:

Baggage embargo: Passengers traveling to Havana (HAV) will be limited to two checked bags with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) each. Boxes of any size will not be accepted. Service items such as wheelchairs and strollers will be accepted."

TL;DR version: most of the time you should be okay by paying $75 each way, just double check that there is not a baggage embargo.

Customer | Home airport DCA