Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Winter Storm Ulmer

bec102896
Aviator A

Based on the forecasted wintry weather conditions, our scheduled service to the cities listed below may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled) on the following dates:

Wednesday, March 13 through Thursday, March 14

• Chicago (Midway), IL - MDW
  • Denver, CO - DEN
  • Des Moines, IA - DSM
  • Milwaukee, WI - MKE
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN - MSP
  • Omaha, NE - OMA
  • Salt Lake City, UT - SLC 
  • Wichita, KS - ICT

if you have travel plans to/from/through any of these cities I suggest reviewing your travel plans now and make any needed changes to avoid possible delays or cancellations.

for rebooking options you can view the travel waiver Here

-Blake 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Winter Storm Ulmer

Vickinog
Explorer C

I received a notification on my app that says I can change/cancel my flight. Since I'm not in the area affected by winter storm Ulmer do I need to change my flight?  I understand that because of the storm my aircraft or crew may not be at the airport of my originating flight. I'm supposed to fly from ORF to MCO early morning on the 14th. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@Vickinog 

Unless you got an email saying your flight is cancelled then I don't see a need for you to change your flight. Sometimes it may also give you that message and option to change if the airline is in the process of adding your city to the waiver. 

On another note I wonder if your getting that message because of the MAX8 crash that happened. 

If you dont like the flight your on then you could try and change it since its giving you that message. 

Hope this helps

Blake

Vickinog
Explorer C

I was wondering if the option to change/cancel was due to the possible plane problems, but it doesn't really say why. I was hoping to find an answer without holding for 2 hours to speak with a representative. 

I really don't want to change my flight if I can avoid it. It's really the only time I can travel. 

Vickinog
Explorer C

Since I am curious about other flight options, does clicking on the change flight obligate me to change my flight or can I just look?

bec102896
Aviator A

You can look for free but once you confirm the change on the payment screen it's final unless you pay to change your flight again. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Vickinog wrote:

I was wondering if the option to change/cancel was due to the possible plane problems, but it doesn't really say why. I was hoping to find an answer without holding for 2 hours to speak with a representative. 

I really don't want to change my flight if I can avoid it. It's really the only time I can travel. 

Southwest is allowing a one-time change to everyone booked thru March 27 (currently) in light of customer concerns in flying on 737 MAX aircraft. If you don't want to change your flight you can ignore that notification.

bec102896
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@Vickinog wrote:

Southwest is allowing a one-time change to everyone booked thru March 27 (currently) in light of customer concerns in flying on 737 MAX aircraft. If you don't want to change your flight you can ignore that notification.

I don't see the option to change for free for my flight on the 26th or 27th of March 

Vickinog
Explorer C

Thank you for the information.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

@Vickinog wrote:

I don't see the option to change for free for my flight on the 26th or 27th of March 

Interesting. I wonder if the date reported in the article below is incorrect (in an earlier version it was reported to be March 18), or if the policy has now changed?

Flying a Southwest 737 MAX 8 Aircraft? You Can Change Your Itinerary at No Fee.