Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Young Traveler without an ID making a layover

jasminersmoot
Explorer C

Hi! I don't have a photo ID, and am planning on flying as a young traveler (I am 17) with parental consent/drop-off. However, all the flights I need for my destination require layovers and changing planes. I am worried that I will have to show some form of ID when switching planes, but I don't have an ID. Does anyone know if an ID is required for layovers and switching planes? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Young Traveler without an ID making a layover

dfwskier
Aviator A

You should do fine.

All you need to switch planes is a boarding pass for the new flight.

I have never been asked for ID at the gate.

Enjoy your flight.

jksobonya
Aviator A

You won't need to show an ID at your connecting airport when going onto a different airplane.

If you - for some reason - exited the airport, you would need to go through TSA security to re-enter the airport and go to your gate; then you would need to show an ID. 

But when you are just catching a connecting flight you don't have to leave the airport terminal gate area, and you don't need to show an ID there because it's already past TSA.

--Jessica

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

A little off-topic!

Just in case (since flight cancellations and delays are on the rise right now):

• If your flight is cancelled during a layover...
  • And if the next available flight is the following day...
  • And if the cancellation is not weather-related and you are given a hotel voucher for the night...

...be aware that you will not be able to use the voucher since you are underage.

This happened to my son twice in the last month, once during a gate change and once on his return flight.

Being stranded as a young traveler can be a PITA.  My son was prepared to spend the night in the terminal with a neck pillow, a super light blanket, and a toothbrush.  It made his experience a bit less miserable.

Hope you have a safe and pleasant trip.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@tappingmom1 wrote:

Very astute observation. I would not have thought of that complication