Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Young Traveler

EmilyL
Explorer C

What is the proper identification necessary for Young Travelers?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Young Traveler

camatuse
Adventurer B

A young traveler, ages 12 through 17, is required to show proof of their age (birth certificate, driver's permit, etc.).

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hey there, usually the typical ID forms are good. Here's what SWA's website says:

Age Verification Process:

• If your child is traveling on an Infant or Child Fare and does not have a Rapid Rewards or Southwest account, you must create one for him/her in order to check in online.
  • You must present a valid Government-issued I.D. providing age (child) or a birth certificate (infant) to the Customer Service Agent at the airport when you check in for your flight. At that time, the date of birth listed in your child's account will be updated to indicate that age has been verified.
  • If you prefer, you may mail a copy of the child's valid Government-issued I.D. proving age (for children) or the birth certificate (infants) to: Southwest Airlines Customer Relations; PO Box 36662; Dallas, TX 75235. Be sure to include your child's Rapid Rewards or Southwest account number with your request and submit it at least two weeks prior to your child's flight.
  • The date of birth field in your child's account will be updated to reflect that he/she is age-verified. Please allow two weeks for processing.
  • If you submit your request in writing, you will receive a confirmation letter in the mail once the date of birth has been verified.
  • Once the date of birth has been verified, you may check in online and request a boarding pass as long as your child's account number is present in the reservation for which you are checking in.
  • Please remember to provide your child's Rapid Rewards or Southwest account number when you make future reservations on Southwest.com or with a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative over the phone so that you can check in online.

More on traveling with kids here: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/family/children-pol.html 

Seabergh
Explorer C

I've got two stories here.  In one place SW's site says that children 12 to 17 must travel as unaccompannied minors (mychoice) but in another it says that they must travel as 
"Young Travelers" and should not expect any assistance with boarding or changing planes.  

First Question: Which is right?

Second Question:  If they get not assistance, why are we paying $150.00 extra?

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@Seabergh wrote:

I've got two stories here.  In one place SW's site says that children 12 to 17 must travel as unaccompannied minors 

Can you provide the link to the Southwest site that says that, please? It is clearly wrong and needs to be corrected.

I've been flying Southwest since I was a kid back in 1976 and teenagers have never been considered UMs.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@Seabergh, please post links and show us where you found the conflicting information - we definitely need to get that corrected.