Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Young traveler and possibly delays

brittanytheriot
Explorer C

Hi all,

I'm new to this young traveler stuff. I'm sending my 13 year old daughter to Philadelphia this summer to meet up with her grandparents. I'd hoped for a nonstop flight, but no such luck. I did find one that has a 35 minute layover in Nashville with NO plane change.

I understand that she won't be monitored while she is on the plane. However, what is there is a problem and she has to switch planes/gates?? Are they just going to tell her to get off the plane and good luck? She is fairly responsible, but that's a lot to ask of a 13 year old. What will happen in that case?

Thanks for any advice anyone has to offer.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Young traveler and possibly delays

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As you said, there's no monitoring of young travelers on the plane, and that applies while waiting at the airport too. You should ensure the child knows they can ask any Southwest employee for assistance, that should be enough to get any problem sorted out. If Southwest is responsible for a delay or cancelation then they should resolve the issue. I would suggest the child carry a printed itinerary that contains confirmation numbers in case there are questions. Some cash for food at the airport would also be a good idea.

With a short amount of time between flights I would also reiterate there's not much time to waste and they should move as quickly as possible from the arriving flight to the next gate. A Southwest employee can assist with gate information and there should be monitors around the terminal with the info too.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I missed the part about no plane change, so ideally most of my response won't apply, just stay on the plane and wait to take off again. However, if a change is required just ask for help like I mentioned. You and the grandparents should also be able to get a gate pass if you would like so you can take the child to the gate, or meet the child at the gate upon arrival. A gate pass can be requested at the check-in counter.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

You and the grandparents should also be able to get a gate pass if you would like so you can take the child to the gate, or meet the child at the gate upon arrival. A gate pass can be requested at the check-in counter.

--TheMiddleSeat

^ ^ ^ ^ Yes, this ^ ^ ^ ^ Definitely request a gate pass on both sides, just make sure you and the picking up grandparent bring a copy of a valid form of government identification.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@brittanytheriot 

Since your daughter would not be considered a Unaccompanied minor since she is over 12 they won't be watching over her like you said however on a 1 stop no change if there is a plane swap they will make an announcement like "if you are continuing on to Philadelphia there has been an aircraft swap you will need to deplane and go to gate X" your daughter can ask where that gate is when she deplanes and the agent can point her in the right direction. Also she could follow another passenger going on to Philadelphia as I imagine she won't be the only thru passenger. You can also check the flight status while waiting for the plane to Nashville to depart to see if there is a swap or delay. 

Hope this helps

Blake

brittanytheriot
Explorer C

Thanks so much for the replies. They were very helpful. She has a cell phone, so I can walk her through it if needed. I'm sure the SW employees will help her as well. I'm going to go ahead and book the flight, she's super excited!