Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Your airport & parking

Goforwand1
Adventurer B

@jksobonya Well, $44/day is for short term parking. That's not really a part of the discussion since I would never use short term parking - and who would park 24 hours or more in short term?! 

I guess it's how you define "short term"

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I and hundreds of people used short term parking: https://flypittsburgh.com/pittsburgh-international-airport/parking/parking-options/

The parking at BNA adjacent to the terminal would probably be considered "short term" but isn't described in that way...

dfwskier
Aviator A

Many airport just use the labels long term and short term (in hours) labels. Everything else is more than short term but less than long term.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Many airport just use the labels long term and short term (in hours) labels. Everything else is more than short term but less than long term.

What do you mean by "everything else"? Is there a parking option in between short term and long term at other airports? All we have in PHL is short term (ground level parking), long term (upper level parking garages) and an economy lot which is a flat rate/day. 

I guess technically we also have a "cell phone lot" (I don't know why it's called that - maybe an outdated term when cell phones were still new) where you can "wait" for free up to 30 minutes before picking someone up directly at baggage claim: https://www.phl.org/to-and-from/meeting-passengers/cellphone-lot 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

The distinction I am making is between parking that is intended to be used for hours, those of "long" (LT parking) stays, and everything between the two.

Short term is normally located in areas with very easy access to terminals.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Just found out that PHL is never going to reopen the economy lot. They are going to use the space for "expanded cargo services." 

https://www.inquirer.com/business/philadelphia-international-airport-economy-parking-lot-closed-than... 

This is a horrible move and it's going to come back and bite them. The economy lot has 7,000 spaces and there were times in the past when it was completely full. What are passengers supposed to do now? JuSt taKe An UbEr is not something just anyone can do (one way averages $60 for me) and jUsT tAkE SePtA (aka the train) isn't reliable either because the trains don't run 24/7. They are recommending arriving to the airport "3 hours in advance" Thanksgiving week to try to get a parking spot in the long term parking garages. Absurd.

Something is going to give. 

--Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A

Months after PHL insisted they would never reopen the Economy Lot again ... they are, because of situations like this:

PHL parking garages are already full ahead of Easter, Passover, spring break weekend 

Who could have predicted this? (ME!)

This is a disaster that could have 100% been avoided. And the problem is not going away, because they are only opening 1/4 of the Economy Lot *after Easter*, meaning less than 2,000 of the 7,000 spaces will be available, and people traveling this weekend likely have no idea and oh, it's going to be a cluster this weekend for many people traveling. 

I never had to worry about parking at PHL before, and now I have to add it to my list of worries and what-ifs. Thank you PHL. 

They say "find alternate methods of transportation" and I just laugh. Even SEPTA which I take regularly into the city, isn't going to work if you have a flight that leaves before 8AM or arrives after 10-11PM due to train unavailability (they don't run 24/7). 

Parking aside, the final nail in the coffin is that the city of Philadelphia is re-instating mask mandates *indoors in the city* starting on April 18. As far as I know they are the only city in the whole country to do this. Disaster after disaster after disaster. 😂

--Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A

It keeps getting worse - I just checked the PHL site and they are upping their parking rates starting on April 21 and the parking garages which previously had a pandemic cost of $24 or $16/day if parked more than 72 hours WILL NOW COST $28/DAY. But oh if you stay a whopping *96 hours or more* you get a "break" and only pay $20/day. Good night. And they are not reopening 3/4 of the Economy Lot so what CHOICE will people have?! This is horrendous and going to be a s#itshow of epic proportions. 

https://phl.org/parking/garages#Rates 

--Jessica

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Goforwand1 wrote:

@jksobonya Well, $44/day is for short term parking. That's not really a part of the discussion since I would never use short term parking - and who would park 24 hours or more in short term?! 

I guess it's how you define "short term"

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I and hundreds of people used short term parking: https://flypittsburgh.com/pittsburgh-international-airport/parking/parking-options/

The parking at BNA adjacent to the terminal would probably be considered "short term" but isn't described in that way...

Short term is if you aren't going to be at the airport for an extended period of time - it's primarily used if you are picking up or dropping off passengers. So - it's not a place I would ever park when I am going on a trip. I am pretty sure 24 hours is the max you can stay in short term. At least in PHL, there are specific areas designated for short term parking: the ground level of each parking garage. If you go to the upper levels, it's considered long term, and there are different entrances for the ground level and upper levels so you get a parking ticket that reflects where you are, so they charge you accordingly.

https://phl.org/parking/garages 

--Jessica

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I fly out of BDL (Hartford) and PVD (Providence).

PVD has 3 parking garages...2 owned by the airport and one that was owned by the airport but is now privately owned. I park in the private garage (called Red Beam Garage C). It is a good deal cheaper than the others and is still on airport property. There are very few off-site lots at PVD. If I stay overnight the night before I stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

BDL has a parking garage and 4 lots scattered around airport property. The garage is expensive. In winter I park in the garage as things can get brutal around here. In other times of year I park in what's called Express Lot 1. It is next to the terminal and not a long walk. If there is a shuttle waiting I take that, if not I walk. There are a lot of off-site lots at BDL, and I have friends who always use the Parking Spot. For overnight stays I use LaQuinta.