Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

automatic air reservation cancellation

TexasHome
Explorer C

SWA cancelled my reservations twice because I booked them in the same travelling time frame. I booked two flights in advance for my travel because I did not finalize my work schedule/appointment until it gets closer to the date.  I booked and paid with reservation confirmations then SWA cancelled my booking a day or two days later.  Has anyone experienced the same issue?  I already wrote to SWA.  What else do you think we should do for this unfair practice? Thanks. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: automatic air reservation cancellation

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest doesn't allow multiple bookings for the same passenger, same day. As a result of the new reservation system, they are now enforcing this policy by automatically cancelling such flights (reports are they cancel the most expensive of the conflicting flights).You won't be able to double-book anymore on Southwest.

This message is shown online when selecting your flights:

Prohibition of Multiple/Conflicting Reservations: To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time). Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel. With the exception of Southwest gift cards, funds from proactively cancelled reservations by Southwest will be returned to the original form of payment. Reservations paid for with a Southwest gift card will have the amount applied from the gift card held as travel funds for use by the Customer on a future Southwest Airlines flight.

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

I have a question about this issue. I already booked a trip from BWI to DTW with the "good deal" and plan using my companion with my friend. However, I may need a round trip flight just for myself from LAX or SNA to BWI and return flight the same date. Does SW cancel my booking since it is considered "double booking"?

Thanks.

Hai Pham

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, yes -- it's likely. See more info here:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Two-confirmation-numbers-on-same-da...

The best way to try to avoid this is to book one-way flights, but even that may not stop the system from cancelling one of them. 😞

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

I just read a blog someone booked 2 flights on 8/11 and 8/12, 3 days later one of them was cancelled. Hope it is not true !!!

Rfeld
Explorer C

It is true.  We only had 1 reservation for today.  And we did have 2 on Monday.  They cancelled my husbands flight with 0 notification for today. We did not know till we got to the airport. 

MatthewS
Explorer C

I'm highly disappointed with this policy change.  My flight was also cancelled with no notice.  I travel for permissive leave in the military, traveling for sports competitions, and the ability to book multiple flights allowed me the flexibility to travel often with southwest (15-25 flights per year). I sometimes do not know when I can get out of work based on operations tempo.  I would often pay more per flight than the competing discount airlines for this flexibility.  The no-hassle flight change and ability to book more than one flight are the sole reason I began flying SW and the sole reason I’ve flown almost exclusively with this airline for the last 6 or 7 years, including using the SW credit card and rewards program. 

I highly hope this policy is overturned or given some flexibility to Rewards members. Even if only certain number of times per year.  I may be selling my limited SW stock as well and finding the cheapest alternative airline for future travel.  I plan to stick with SW for the next year, and hope the policy is reconsidered. 

v/r

MatthewS

nutsoverSWA
Explorer A

Agree,

I often fly multiple legs on the same day (up to 12 legs)

and... sometimes I do not know which of several destinations I willl use on a particular day.

Too bad they don't ask ? "which one do you want to keep?", or at least not cancel them until 2-3 days before flight, so you can iron out your most likely routing. 

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@nutsoverSWA

12 legs a day!?! Wow!!!

I don't think I could stand more than 4 or 5 legs a day...and I LOVE to fly!!!

Out of curiosity, why do you fly so many legs? I have a friend who jumps on random flights with his son and flies to wherever the loads will allow for the sole purpose of visiting as many airports as possible. Is that what you're doing, or is it strictly business?

jonlinemein
Explorer C

Why not program your computers to behave in an adult manner?

My first experience getting cancelled was having a round trip to Newark NJ and finding I might need to return home from Albany. I booked Albany to San Diego. Overnight SWA cancelled my round trip to Newark which of course could have meant I would lose my transportation to the east coast as well as my return.

Most adult response and certainly doable - warn your customer as they attempt to double book. Allow some time for cancelling the unneeded res in case, as was my case I needed to know I could get the return from Albany before I gave up my seat on the return from Newark.

Second adult response - send a daytime email AND text message warning that one of the res needs to be cancelled within x hours. Seems pretty fair to the airline and the passenger(s).

SWA's choice - randomly cancel at midnight and good luck.

In the context of refusing to cancel MAX-8 flights until the compromised FAA was commanded by the President, I have very little faith in SWA's safety concerns.

Didn't use to be this way.

Not only hurts passengers - it's an insult to the amazing rank and file at SWA who made it a superior airline for so many years.