Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

cans of tuna

GETTINGLESSFAT
Explorer C

Dut to my recent grastic surgery , I am limited on the size of my meal. When are going to WDW and Universal . I want to know if I can bring cans if tuna or chicken with me ? Does it have to be checked or can it be on my carry on?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: cans of tuna

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can bring all the tuna you'd like in your checked baggage, just keep in mind the 50lb weight limit for each bag. Carry-on bags are subject to TSA's liquid rules so no containers over 3.4oz (liquid volume, not weight) if they have liquid in them. They would also need to fit inside a quart size bag with any other toiletries you carry on. I'm no tuna expert, but I think they sell pouches of tuna without the liquid now? If there's no liquid, these could go in either your checked or carry-on baggage and would not be subject to the liquid rules.

Please, please, please, just don't open any container of tuna on the plane. Tuna is prohibited in the bad odor rules along with chili, clam chowder, and any fast food breakfast sandwich. 

Enjoy your trip!

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

Here's what the TSA website says:

Canned Foods

Carry On Bags: 
Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: 
Yes

There are some items that are not on the prohibited items list, but because of how they appear on the X-ray, security concerns, or impact of the 3-1-1 rules for liquids, gels and aerosols, they could require additional screening that might result in the item not being allowed through the checkpoint. We suggest that you pack this item in your checked bag, ship it to your destination or leave it at home.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/canned-foods

So the general guidance seems to be to pack it in your checked bag but there's nothing prohibiting you from carrying it on, except maybe the amount of liquid in the can.

For the benefit of your fellow Customers, I suggest that you do not open the can of tuna inside the cabin (but you already knew that).Smiley LOL

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@GETTINGLESSFAT wrote:

Dut to my recent grastic surgery , I am limited on the size of my meal. When are going to WDW and Universal . I want to know if I can bring cans if tuna or chicken with me ? Does it have to be checked or can it be on my carry on?

If you are renting a car, there is a grocery store chain called "Publix" in the area as well as Winn-Dixie or even Walgreens where you could stock up on the way to your hotel.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Great suggestions and ideas in this thread, everyone. Thanks for being friendly and supportive of your fellow passengers!

bec102896
Aviator A

Personally I would recommend you wait and buy the tuna and chicken when you get to Florida from Publix, Walmart, or Winn dixie as it may be easier than trying to carry it on or check it as jars can break in checked bags and tuna clothing is not fun. I have also heard new TSA measures are being taken where people have to remove all food from there carry on bags so it could make security a pain and don't forget there is the liquid restriction going through security so if you renting a car I would say take a trip to the store on your way to the hotel or if your not they have Uber, Lyft, and LYNX buses that can get you to the store and back and will save you time at the airport making air travel less of a hassle since I know theme parks could be a pain especially with toy story land just opening this last weekend so best to save the extra energy for that.  

hope this helps and hope you have a fun trip!

Blake