Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

carry on food policy

NikkiRDH
Explorer C

I am trying to find out if there will be any issue with bringing frozen tamales in my carry on baggage? I will have 18 of them.  If anyone has any info about this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: carry on food policy

franktravel
Aviator B

You may want to check TSA here! https://bit.ly/2n8qxjh

NikkiRDH
Explorer C

Thank you! Yes I did see that link, but I was just a bit concerned about the quantity I am bringing, becasue it does not specify a limit, as long as it can fit under the sit in front of me, is what I understand?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Liquids, gels, and batteries are the only carry-on items I can think of that have quantity limits. As long as they fit inside your allowed amount/size of carry-on baggage you’re fine.  I’m questioning why you even have tamales to travel with...I would have eaten them all right away, as soon as I got my hands on them!

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Liquids, gels, and batteries are the only carry-on items I can think of that have quantity limits. As long as they fit inside your allowed amount/size of carry-on baggage you’re fine.  I’m questioning why you even have tamales to travel with...I would have eaten them all right away, as soon as I got my hands on them!

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

A friend of mine does this also, traveling back to CA to have a giant tamale making party with the extended family and then bringing them back to Chicago.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NikkiRDH
Explorer C

LOL Middleseat! Yes, I agree!!!  I LOOOOVE Tamales!!! (The Tamale Shop in Cave Creek, btw) but they are for my brother, mom, and dad who are in Michigan!! They can't get good tamales over there in the frozen part of the country!! I am lucky I can get them anytime : )

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@NikkiRDH wrote:

I am trying to find out if there will be any issue with bringing frozen tamales in my carry on baggage? I will have 18 of them.  If anyone has any info about this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I have a friend that does this every year, but I'll have to ask if she carries them on or more likely checks them. If it isn't liquid, then should be fine though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NikkiRDH
Explorer C

Thanks all!!! Looks like I am going to be fine, I contacted TSA and I am good to go!!! : )

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@NikkiRDH Thank you for the tamale recommendation! I usually get to Phoenix a couple of times a year and will definitely check that place out. Please let me know via private message if you have any other places I need to hit up.

--TheMiddleSeat

ParSWA
Adventurer B

If they only let you carry on say... 9, I'd be glad to help you out with the other 9.

Anything I can do to help 😉