Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

carseat on board

juliedflower
Explorer C

I am flying with my 2 kids. one is 2 years old and the other is 6. I purchased tickets for them, my question is, do they need their carseats?

1 REPLY 1

Re: carseat on board

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@juliedflower wrote:

I am flying with my 2 kids. one is 2 years old and the other is 6. I purchased tickets for them, my question is, do they need their carseats?

Car seats are not required by Southwest or by the FAA.

You may choose to use them, or I recommend the CARES harness on another thread at least for the two year old. Anything that you use should be FAA approved - you'll need to check if the car seats that you have are approved for FAA use or not.

Then, if you do use the car seat, you'll want to have it in the window seat so as not to block access for the row - I see this working best if the car seat was in the window, you were in the middle, and your older child using the regular seat belt in the aisle seat, this would let you all sit in the same row.

For the older child if they fit pretty comfortably in the seat with a seatbelt then you may feel like that is sufficient, the recommendation is if they are over 40 lbs not to use any extra gear.

Here is a general write-up that may be helpful:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_car-seat-safety-using-a-car-seat-on-a-plane_3656331.bc

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.