Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

correct boarding group but cutting in line

fortyishhotbabe
Explorer C

My last three SW flights, I was in B boarding group.  No problem because I travel by myself.  My issue is with travelers (also in the B boarding group) who cluster around the queue and then pop into the line right before the desk, jumping ahead several numbers.  Only once have I seen the gate attendant ask someone to step aside and wait for his boarding number.  

Simply not fair for everyone who patiently waits their turn and boards according to their number, not according to the good graces of the attendant.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: correct boarding group but cutting in line

dfwskier
Aviator A

You may be making an invalid assumption.

I'll use myself as an example. I'm AList so most of the time I'm somewhere in A group.

I NEVER get in line when the gate attendant asks people to do so. Why? I have no desire to stand in line for 10-15 minutes while things get sorted out and preboarders do their thing. If I'm A36, I'll wait til A15-A30 start moving and get into the line, and then slide over to about A36 as the line move past that point. If I don't get there in time, I may wait by the gate agent as a31-A60 is boarding and likewise slide into the que as approximately A35 passes.

The same type of thing could be happening with the people you see.

I don't care if I get in EXACTLY at my boarding spot. If I'm 1 or 2 sports early or late makes no difference to me, and so far to no one around me either. I don't care if I'm 10 or 15 spots late, but am never early by that amount.

It could look like I'm cutting into line when in fact I'm getting into line about where I am supposed to be.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@fortyishhotbabe wrote:

My last three SW flights, I was in B boarding group.  No problem because I travel by myself.  My issue is with travelers (also in the B boarding group) who cluster around the queue and then pop into the line right before the desk, jumping ahead several numbers.  Only once have I seen the gate attendant ask someone to step aside and wait for his boarding number.  

Simply not fair for everyone who patiently waits their turn and boards according to their number, not according to the good graces of the attendant.

Unless you saw the people having incorrect numbering, who knows?

I agree the clustering is annoying and not really beneficial in the long run anyway. 

I do go out of order - if I'm in the back half of A16-30 or A46-60 I'll often just hang around and go in at the end of that particular side's line instead of squeeze into the middle where my actual position is.

As far as my immediate line neighbors go - I always hold out my pass so they can see my number, and try to get a peek at theirs and if the order isn't right I just move. (Whether forwards or backwards.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Claudiac
Explorer C

I totally agree!!!! People who may be getting defensive are the ones cutting.

I have been flying SW for years and have always noticed how out of order the queue is. When I know I’m supposed to be in the first 3, but there are 6 people crowding the front... or I specifically ask those around me what position they are so I can get in the right spot, but they say a number 7 spot back...

have some integrity in your lives people..

Claudiac
Explorer C

To add to that, I wish Southwest would make the buzzer sound (when people use the wrong boarding pass) when people check in ahead of their boarding position.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Claudiac wrote:

To add to that, I wish Southwest would make the buzzer sound (when people use the wrong boarding pass) when people check in ahead of their boarding position.

Chill.

I fly a lot - 30-35 flights a year. It makes no real difference if my boarding pass says A45, if I get on at A40 or A50. I'll still get the kind of seat that I want to get.

Bs are prevented from getting on as As, and Cs are prevented from getting on as Bs.

Gate agents have more important things to worry about than people  who are slightly out of que.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@dfwskier I agree for the most part, but there have been and will always be those that will do this.  The numbers are really too low to worry about.  I find that most people are polite enough to ask what my number is.  

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Also keep in mind that the gate agents are busy making announcements, pulling bags that are too large for the overhead compartment, and policing passengers who are attempting to carry on more than 2 items on the plane. They have a lot going on, and it’s not intentional. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Passenger1C   UH, when your boarding pass is scanned your boarding number comes up on the big screen in big letter/numbers.  Can they catch everyone, NO, but if they show that they are at least asking one or two passengers to,  "Please wait, you're a bit early.   The others will hear and it might help to deter it.  Yes, they are busy, but trust me, if it was me, I would find a way.  Hey, even just announcing, "I know we are all eager to get on the plane, but we have a numeric order, please adhere to that order so I don't have to embarrass you by pulling you out of line to wait your turn.  You never know.  But for it to be ramped that nobody does anything is rather furstrating. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Claudiac 

To add to that, I wish Southwest would make the buzzer sound (when people use the wrong boarding pass) when people check in ahead of their boarding position.

the only flaw to this is what if somebody that was supposed to be in front of me when I scan my ticket is in the bathroom or finishing up their beer, I scan and get the BUZZER of shame and was boarding legitimately.   Before I was an A-Lister, I use to give up a couple of spots so that I would board with my wife at the same time, that would mean by doing that the person I would cause the person I let in front of me get the BUZZER of shame.