Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

damaged baggage

Lsharsh3
Explorer C

Has anyone ever dealt with the issue of damaged baggage? My new luggage was destroyed on my last flight. It looks like it was crunched between closing doors or something like that. Both sides of the metal frame is bent inward, as if crunched. I did not notice (my flight was late in the evening and so much turbulence that I just grabbed it and went to my car) it until waiting for the shuttle to the parking area. I got home well after midnight. I emailed Southwest the following morning and have not heard anything back. I was able to find the damaged baggage policy that says you have to show them in person when you get off the aircraft or within four hours in person. This was not possible. I am hoping they at least respond. Anyone had any dealings with this? Im really disappointed and thankful I didnt put my laptop in that bag.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: damaged baggage

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Lsharsh3,

The damaged bag policy does state that a Southwest Employee needs to see and assess the damage within four hours of your arrival. That said, if you've emailed our Customer Relations, you will receieve a response within the next week, advising you of any next steps. 

Pooch
Explorer C

I received a letter from the baggage claim dept instructing me to upload photos of my bag but no mention of where/how.  I called the number on the letter and was routed to reservations.  They sent me back to baggage claims & was told to FAX photos?? As if the faxes would clearly show the damage. Then he suggested printing the photos and mailing them. Really?  THEN he gave me bags.southwest.com which doesn't exist in any web search.  I am rethinking my respect for SWA customer service.  Any suggestions?  We didn't show the bag to an agent st the airport because the bag was lost and delivered to out hotel.

Kayla1SS
Explorer C

We had a issue 2 weeks ago after coming back from Florida. You have to issue your complaint within 4 hours. They sent 50 dollars off next flight. ( I don't even fly once a year) I don't plan on flying southwest anymore, I've had other issue with them. Sorry to hear about your luggage. Good luck on getting that taken care of.

Universal Studios 2018 115.JPGUniversal Studios 2018 117.JPGUniversal Studios 2018 119.JPGUniversal Studios 2018 121.JPG

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If this was in the form of a LUV voucher, you can book someone other than yourself for the future flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.