Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

delayed and changed flights

awebb1980
Explorer C

Hello all,

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to get information about why a flight was delayed. Long story short, a family member was due to take a cruise in December of 2018, however, their original flight was delayed by 2 hours.  Because of this, they missed their cruise. Now, we need proof from Southwest Airlines, for the travel agency, that the flight was delayed, in order to be compensated for the flight. We have had some difficulty reaching Southwest Airlines customer service for this issue. Has anyone had this experience, before? Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: delayed and changed flights

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

If I am not where I can ask an agent at the airport, I will send a quick Tweet to @southwestair on Twitter.  They are usually about to provide some insight into why there is a delay.

You can also use an app such as FlightAware to see historical flight data, but note that it will not give you the reason.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@awebb1980 wrote:

Hello all,

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to get information about why a flight was delayed. Long story short, a family member was due to take a cruise in December of 2018, however, their original flight was delayed by 2 hours.  Because of this, they missed their cruise. Now, we need proof from Southwest Airlines, for the travel agency, that the flight was delayed, in order to be compensated for the flight. We have had some difficulty reaching Southwest Airlines customer service for this issue. Has anyone had this experience, before? Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you.

Unfortunately it isn't common practice to document a flight delay during the event. I'll second Flight Aware, and also the Twitter suggestion - they may not be able to instantly go back to review, but I think it could be worth a try to establish contact. 

The most likely way though will be to use the "Customer Relations" number (past flights and issues to be resolved) and not the general customer service (current flights):

Customer Relations 1-855-234-4654

I'd use the email form too, cover all your bases to get the ball rolling and see which completes first:

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

Be clear in bullet points what is needed. The public sources will show the flight was delayed, but if the travel agency needs a personalized letter from the airline say that as opposed to a more general proof of delay.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Send a quick email to Customer Relations throught the contact us link on Southwest.com and they will respond with a letter as to why the flight was canceled that you can send to the Travel Agency for insurance purposes.  You should get a response within a day or two after you email them, possibly even same day.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@awebb1980

Yes, I firmly believed that several passenger like you did experience the delayed flight due to bad weather. I am sure I have seen many posting for the last few months. For some reason why they don't always informed their passenger fearing backlashes from angry or frustration passenger.

You can call the cutomer service number at 
1 (800) 435-9792 or (214) 792-4000 or write it to: 

Southwest Airlines Co. 2702 Love Field Drive. Dallas, Texas 75235. Hope this will helps.