Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

disrespect to young adult children

rvadevine
Explorer C

Hello

My daughter, age 17 was flying home on SW from Colorado with a connecting flight in Atlanta to Richmond VA. Her flight was cancelled for no apparent reason.  When she politely asked why, she was told they did not have to have a reason. The agents on duty did not offer her any suggestions and were not helpful and in fact they were disrespectful. Being 17 and having limited experience flying, she had no idea what to do and since I was at work, she couldn't get me on the phone to help. She told the male agent on duty at 3:00 pm on 2/17/21 (she didn't recall his name) that she was couldn't check into a hotel that she didn't have the  money  (not to mention a 17 y.o. can't legally book or stay alone in a hotel room. )

This is a safety hazard. My 17 year old daughter is alone in Atlanta at an airport hotel. I am saddened and angry that children are treated with such disrespect and are ignored and made to feel unimportant. I am very scared as the weather is great today, and tomorrow we are expecting a major ice storm along the east coast. I am worried she will be stranded for more days. 

I will never fly SW again and if anything happens to my daughter, I will seek legal action. 

PS- I called customer service and the wait time is 125 minutes. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: disrespect to young adult children

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Since this is a customer to customer forum you should contact Southwest directly to discuss the issue.  As your daughter experienced, weather is forcing cancellation of lots of flights and that leads to everyone calling to reschedule flights, thus the long wait time when calling.  There are other contact options available.

Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: disrespect to young adult children

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rvadevine wrote:

Hello

My daughter, age 17 was flying home on SW from Colorado with a connecting flight in Atlanta to Richmond VA. Her flight was cancelled for no apparent reason.  When she politely asked why, she was told they did not have to have a reason. The agents on duty did not offer her any suggestions and were not helpful and in fact they were disrespectful. Being 17 and having limited experience flying, she had no idea what to do and since I was at work, she couldn't get me on the phone to help. She told the male agent on duty at 3:00 pm on 2/17/21 (she didn't recall his name) that she was couldn't check into a hotel that she didn't have the  money  (not to mention a 17 y.o. can't legally book or stay alone in a hotel room. )

This is a safety hazard. My 17 year old daughter is alone in Atlanta at an airport hotel. I am saddened and angry that children are treated with such disrespect and are ignored and made to feel unimportant. I am very scared as the weather is great today, and tomorrow we are expecting a major ice storm along the east coast. I am worried she will be stranded for more days. 

I will never fly SW again and if anything happens to my daughter, I will seek legal action. 

PS- I called customer service and the wait time is 125 minutes. 

Sorry to hear this is happening to your daughter.

I don't believe the system explains why a flight was cancelled. So the rep probably  could not tell why her flight was cancelled. It was likely weather related. Lots of weather related cancellations are happening.

Back you your daughters situation. If her flight was cancelled, and no other flight was available on the date of travel, what did you expect the airline to do? If there are no seats, then there are no seats.

Bad stuff sometimes happen when you fly it's happened to me many times over the last 50 years..