Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

endless holds

drewandjules
Explorer C

I need to cancel a flight that i booked using points.  Believe me, I would do it on-line, but I don't think it's allowed.

Callled last night.  pushed the button for a call-back.  It never came.

Called today, waited 25 minutes, then hung up on.

Do you recommend only calling at certain times.  Early AM, noon, etc.?

Should I try calling from an old rotary phone?

I am at my wits end.  Please help.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: endless holds

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

You actually can cancel a flight booked on points online, but there are a few things to keep in mind depending on the situation. 

1) You must be logged into the Rapid Rewards account of the person whose points you used. If you booked the flight for yourself using your points, it easy. Navigate to your account (sign in), find the reservation, and follow the cancel link. Your points will be refunded. 

2) If you used your points for a flight for someone else, log into your RR account, then select the Change/Cancel link on the SW homepage. Key in the conf # and name of the person flying, and follow the prompts. Your points will be refunded to your account. 

I hope this helps! As far as wait times, I can’t help you there; however, I bet the Twitter team could handle your request if you don’t want to/can’t figure out how to do it online. 

Good luck, and let us know if you get it handled!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

You actually can cancel a flight booked on points online, but there are a few things to keep in mind depending on the situation. 

2) If you used your points for a flight for someone else, log into your RR account, then select the Change/Cancel link on the SW homepage. Key in the conf # and name of the person flying, and follow the prompts. Your points will be refunded to your account. 

I think method #2 would work regarless if you were using points for yourself or for others.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's actually a bit easier than that. No need to log in. You just need the confirmation number and passenger name.

On the Southwest website's main page, choose "Change/Cancel" and input the info.

Also, be aware that -- while it's always a good idea to cancel any flight you're not going to need -- Points bookings are exempt from the "no-show" policy. If you forget to cancel but then miss the flight, your itinerary will be canceled automatically and the points refunded to your RR account. The fees will be held as Travel Funds under the confirmation number. (If you cancel in advance, you can select "request a refund," to have them returned to the original payment method.)