Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

error message

lrlock88
Explorer C

I have recently attempted to purchase a ticket using Paypal, (which I can see a pending payment) however upon re-routing back to the Southwest airlines website i received an error message.

Southwest Airlines - General Error 

We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).

I am wondering a few things? 
1. Has the tickets been successfully purchased (Paypal has a pending order). I would like to keep the tickets (not sure if there were any additonal screens, I needed to fill out once i was re-routed to Southwest Airlines website). Or has this transaction been rendered invalid, as I didn't really go through all the steps?

2. If not, how is the best way to successfully resolve this issue? 

I have received the same message for the past 4 days.  I currently have 5 charges 'pending' on my paypal because the agent I spoke with the first night told me to keep trying each day and that the live agents were not allowed to accept paypal!    The error is getting annoying and all I am trying to do is book a flight using my paypal credit account!!!!  Since it is pending on the paypal site, it must be an issue with Southwest.....I am in the States so it isn't an out of the country issue.  Any help would be appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: error message

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @lrlock88,

Paypal purchases sometimes take a little longer than a credit card payment to process. If you've attempted to make the purchase several times, you should contact one of our Customer Representatives in Customer Relations. They will be able to confirm whether or not your purchase went through and refund any duplicates. 

Customer Relations can be reached at 1-855-234-4654.

cheinle
Explorer C

I had the same problem and called customer service.  Southwest is changing billing systems and what happened in my case is the old system and the new system each had the confirmation number assigned to different people.  They fixed it and now I'm all set.

queenmgm
Explorer C

Hello All,

Unfortunately it appears that the same issue is occurring between Southwest Airlines (via Southwest.com) and PayPal Credit.  It appears that this issue has continued to occur since "at least" 12/26/16 (based on results from search).  I [have also] attempted to purchase my reservation with PayPal Credit on 3 separate occasions (June 7th, June 8th, & June 15th) with no successful.

Each time I have received the same error message (most recent message on 06/15/17): 

• We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
  • Reference code: SW9999992-AAAA-kOYIXdRQSiqlaDOnjnQN6Q Occurred on: 06/15/2017 09:28:47

and spoken to NUMEROUS representatives on NUMEROUS occasions from Southwest Customer Service (1-800-435-9792), Southwest Customer Relations (1-855-234-4654), PayPal Customer Service (1-888-221-1161) and PayPal Credit Customer Service (1-866-528-3733). 

I just spoke with a PayPal Credit representative who informed me that the problem "may be" with the Southwest Airlines system not connecting with the PayPal system on the "merchant side." It was explained that the only way to "possibly" resolve the issue would be if someone from the Southwest Airlines (Merchant Support) IT Department contacted someone in the PayPal in a management position (over PayPal Accounts or the IT Department).  When I requested the telephone number(s), I was told that PayPal could not provide me with the contact information. I recommended to the PayPal Credit representative that PayPal may want to create an "escalated/elevated ticket" to their Accounts Department and/or IT Department to resolve the problem because at this point they are losing money because Southwest is advising customers to use another for of payment (i.e. credit card). 

This issue is not causing a loss in revenue to the merchant (i.e. Southwest Airlines) because their "quick fix" is to simple advise the customer to use another form of payment (i.e. credit card); therefore it appears that Southwest Airlines does not view this as an immediate problem that needs to be addressed.

So the bottom line is.....it appears that Southwest.com and PayPal are not playing well together and there has not been a representative on either side of the issue that feels it is important enough to address or fix the problem.

If this post is viewed by a Southwest Airline Community Moderator, please be advised that this problem has NOT been "solved" as initially indicated by a Community Moderator on 12/28/16 - Re: Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

Employee

in response to the following community post on 12/26/16 -Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

Tourist

Has there been any resolution from the previous community post concerning this problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ALEXANDRE
Explorer C

Hello, @lrlock88!

Was everything OK with your purchase?

I'm facing the same problem here. I tried to make a reservation 3 times (with different browsers and different credit cards) yesterday, but in all attempts I saw this error message ("We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time .........").

I need to know if you got your tickets, or if you lost them, after all.

I don't know what to do now.

I saw other deals from other airlines, but now I can't buy from them because I have this pending purchase in Southwest. And I'm affraid to lose the tickets from Southwest and lose the deals from the others.

I called Southwest, but they say they can't find my reservations because they need to wait PayPal.

Please, tell me if you got your tickets.

Thank you!

lrlock88
Explorer C

I emailed them and someone called me.  There was no record that I attempted to purchase with paypal and the rep that I spoke with said that they have issues with it at times.  Very disappointing that it is listed as an option.  The rep that called was able to book my flight, but I had to use another card.

queenmgm
Explorer C

Hello lrlock88,

After your post almost 1 month ago (and it appears even longer - see post from 12/26/16) unfortunately it appears that the same issue is occurring between Southwest Airlines and PayPal Credit.  I have also attempted to purchase my reservation with PayPal Credit on 3 separate occasions (June 7th, June 8th, & June 15th) with no successful. Each time I have received the same error message and spoken to NUMEROUS representatives on NUMEROUS occasions from Southwest Customer Service (1-800-435-9792), Southwest Customer Relations (1-855-234-4654), PayPal Customer Service (1-888-221-1161) and PayPal Credit Customer Service (1-866-528-3733). 

I just spoke with a PayPal Credit representative who informed me that the problem "may be" with the Southwest Airlines system not connecting with the PayPal system on the "merchant side." It was explained that the only way to "possibly" resolve the issue would be if someone from the Southwest Airlines (Merchant Support) IT Department contacted someone in the PayPal in a management position (over PayPal Accounts or the IT Department).  When I requested the telephone number(s), I was told that PayPal could not provide me with the contact information. I recommended to the PayPal Credit representative that PayPal may want to create an "escalated/elevated ticket" to their Accounts Department and/or IT Department to resolve the problem because at this point they are losing money because Southwest is advising customers to use another for of payment (i.e. credit card). 

This issue is not causing a loss in revenue to the merchant (i.e. Southwest Airlines) because their "quick fix" is to simple advise the customer to use another form of payment (i.e. credit card); therefore it appears that Southwest Airlines does not view this as an immediate problem that needs to be addressed.

So the bottom line is.....it appears that Southwest.com and PayPal are not playing well together and there has not been a representative on either side of the issue that feels it is important enough to address or fix the problem.

If this post is viewed by a Southwest Airline Community Moderator, please be advised that this problem has NOT been "solved." as indicated by a Community Moderator on 12/28/16

Re: Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

Lindsey
Employee

in response to the following community post on 12/26/16

Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

limmilim
Tourist

Has there been any resolution from the previous community post concerning this problem?

Re: Error message when using PayPal as payment

queenmgm
Explorer C

Hello All,

Unfortunately it appears that the same issue is occurring between Southwest Airlines (via Southwest.com) and PayPal Credit.  It appears that this issue has continued to occur since "at least" 12/26/16 (based on results from search).  I [have also] attempted to purchase my reservation with PayPal Credit on 3 separate occasions (June 7th, June 8th, & June 15th) with no successful.

Each time I have received the same error message (most recent message on 06/15/17): 

• We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
  • Reference code: SW9999992-AAAA-kOYIXdRQSiqlaDOnjnQN6Q Occurred on: 06/15/2017 09:28:47

and spoken to NUMEROUS representatives on NUMEROUS occasions from Southwest Customer Service (1-800-435-9792), Southwest Customer Relations (1-855-234-4654), PayPal Customer Service (1-888-221-1161) and PayPal Credit Customer Service (1-866-528-3733). 

If this post is viewed by a Southwest Airline Community Moderator, please be advised that this problem has NOT been "solved" as initially indicated by a Community Moderator on 12/28/16 - Re: Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

Employee

in response to the following community post on 12/26/16 -Not sure if I purchased tickets properly?

Tourist

Has there been any resolution from the previous community post concerning this problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Error message when using PayPal as payment

Sandy99
Explorer C

The issues continue.

• We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. If this is the first time you have seen this message, please go back and try again. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).Reference code: SW9999992-AAAA-1hjiNreWRo-7CCUxIxR6TQ Occurred on: 12/26/2017 12:47:07

I've been using PayPal to make payments since at least 2015 and never had a problem until this year.  I've talked with SW reps and each one has some lame excuse or solutions (i.e. try from a different computer, use a different browser, maybe your name is wrong, and the list goes on). Finally, they tell me you have to use a different form of payment. One of the main reasons I fly on SW is because of the PayPal credit convenience. I use PayPal for all types of transactions and never have problems.  SW fix the dang problem. 

Have your IT people contact PayPal and resolve the problem.  There has to be a reasonable fix for this.

SW claims they pride themselves on good customer service; so, now would be a good time to show it.

If they are not  going to resolve the issue they should remove the PayPal option.