Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

folding wagon for kids and carseats

SP
Explorer C

https://www.costco.com/Folding-Wagon.product.100316952.html

I am going to be traveling by myself with two kids ages 2 and 4, with their large convertable britax carseats.  I just recently got this folding wagon from costco (see the above link) and I'm wondering if I could use this for travel through the airport to carry the carseats and possibly the children.  Would I be able to take this through security, and then when I get to the gate could I check it like a stroller?  It weighs about 25 pounds, and the folded dimensions are 29.5” L x 20.4” W x 8.2” H.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: folding wagon for kids and carseats

SP
Explorer C

Does anyone have other suggestions on how to get two large carseats to the gate?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @SP,

Happy to chime in here! You can certainly bring your car seats and kids through the airport in your collapsible wagon. You can also check it at the gate like you would a stroller - no charge. 

It will be conditionally accepted, which just means that we will not be responsible for any damage. Does that help? @sarahsmith also had a lot of great suggestions in y'alls previous conversation, so it might helpful to revisit that post for other ideas on making your trip easy and enjoyable. Thanks for coming back by the Community!

SP
Explorer C

Thank you so much @LindseyDLindsey and @sarahsmithSarahSmith!  I appreciate  your imput.  I think I'll give it a go!  The wagon is cheaper than trying to buy lighter carseats, and I will need carseats when I get to my destination.  The stroller comes with a cover that straps on when folded so hopefully that will help protect it.  I'll also keep SarahSmith's advice in mind as well.

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C

Awesome! I know you can do it! Have a terrific trip!

lise84
Explorer C

Is there a charge if we did a wagon vs a stroller and gate check it? 

I am traveling alone with a 2,4 and 6 year old next week. (international). In the past i have managed to put all our carryon on our stroller and just gate check the stroller. (I need to transport 2 carseats, 4 carryons, 2 medical bags and 3 kids through the airport. ) Its alot to handle during TSA as the stroller is to wide and always need to be hand checked. I need something to hold our stuff so my hands can be free to manage the kids. In the past i have stacked everything on our stroller, with no issues and managed that way, but i was thinking about using a collapseble wagon. One of my kids have broken her foot and has a cast on and will not be able to walk, hence the reason i was looking into the wagon.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @lise84,

The wagon will be treated like a stroller - there will be no additional charge to check it. Hope your little one's foot heals soon! Please let us know if there's anything we can do to make your trip easier. 

cchadwick3103
Explorer C

This thread has been really helpful. I will be traveling w/ a 6 yr old, 4 yr old, and 3 yr old and was debating whether I wanted to bring our wagon or stroller. Thank you for posting this question!! It has helped me better plan our trip in June!

shell1991
Explorer C

Hi @LindseyD,

I will be traveling in June 2017 with my husband and our two children ages 3 and 5. But, during this trip I will be on crutches, so my husband is going to be the main one in charging of getting our 2 carseats, stroller, our two children and their suitcase, and our carry on suitcase to the gate. 

When I was looking through the discussion and seen the idea of a foldable wagon and also the Southwest representative that confirmed that they will take the wagon in place of the stroller, I was relieved. So, my question is, will southwest let me check a stroller and wagon at the gate for no charge? 

I just don't seen any other option on how my husband is suppose to carry all of our things by himself and also manage two kids (3 years old & 5 years old)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and responsed to my post.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The guidance is two baby-related items per kid, as long as these are either luggage or packedup like car seats/strollers or a pack-and-play I don't think it matters as long as the weight and dimentions are reasonable.

So a stroller + wagon should be fine, and you should get two items per child in case there is something else you want to add.

i.e. two items for you, two for your husband, and two baby items per child.

Actually I see that your kids are 3 and 5, so they would get two items each anyway as ticketed passengers.

I'm still in <2 y.o. mode for myself.

As Sarah always points out - use family boarding between the A and B groups with your children age six and below.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.