Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

how to change your last name on your flight ticket

sandoo
Explorer C

My friend bought me a flight ticket, but he accidentally put his last name instead of mine and now im not sure what will happen when I get to the airport and tell them its not my last name. the flight is only 2 weeks away

1 REPLY 1

Re: how to change your last name on your flight ticket

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@sandoo wrote:

My friend bought me a flight ticket, but he accidentally put his last name instead of mine and now im not sure what will happen when I get to the airport and tell them its not my last name. the flight is only 2 weeks away

Well, most likely you won't be able to fly because you don't have a ticket in your name.

Airline tickets are non-transferable, meaning the name on the ticket must match the name of the passenger traveling.

If this had been caught early on, by reviewing the confirmation emails sent immediately after booking, he could have canceled and rebooked using your correct name. Cancellations within 24 hours of booking are completely refundable.

I'd recommend you reach out to Southwest right away to see if there's anything they can do. But don't be surprised if the only solution is for you to buy a new ticket for yourself.

Good luck.