Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

how to obtain a refund

bguzman
Explorer C

Good morning,

Happy Memorial weekend.

I have a reservation booked for June 1 from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Chicago. I need to cancel it. What would be the procedure to obtain a refund. Is there anything else additional that I need to do? The ticket was purchased in January 2020 for April but due to the COVID it was changed for June 1. Do you need the flight number?

Thanks

Beatriz Guzman

2 REPLIES 2

Re: how to obtain a refund

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

Since this is a customer to customer to customer forum, you won't be able to get a refund here.

However, Southwest's rules indicate that you cannot get a refund when you cancel your reservation. You'll get a travel fund that you can use for future travel thru September, 2022.

The only way to get a refund is if SW cancels your flight. 

Re: how to obtain a refund

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Changes or cancellations can all be completed online at southwest.com  Near the top of the page there are large buttons for cancel or change your flight.  As noted, if you bought a Wanna Get Away fare, Southwest's lowest price and non-refundable fare, you will not receive a cash refund unless Southwest cancels the flight.  Instead you will receive a credit to use towards future travel that must be completed before September 2022.  If you don't have any other travel to book I suggest you wait until closer to your scheduled flight and if Southwest has not cancelled the flight a few days prior to scheduled departure then you can cancel it.  If Southwest cancels your flight you can call in and request a cash refund.

--TheMiddleSeat