Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: limits to Service animals and ESA dogs?

LizF
Explorer B

The ADA provides explicit coverage for service animals.   Businesses are allowed to ask if the animal is a service animal and ask what tasks it is trained to perform, but they are not allowed to ask the service animal to perform the task nor ask for a special ID of the animal.

I have never been harrassed by Southwest Airlines employees about my hearing dog.  Southwest Airlines employees have always been very kind to me.  

I was recently harassed by a TSA agent in Oklahoma City who rushed up to me to attempt to ask me what my small service dog "did" and if it served breakfast.  I saw her rushing towards me and that she was laughing, so she apparently thought her hateful actions were funny.  I couldn't hear what she was saying, but my husband did.  He reported her hateful behavior to the supervising agent.  I doubt anything will be done to correct this hateful TSA agent's behavior, but she was at least humiliated WITH ME in front of her TSA peers and all the waiting passengers.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Thats not harassment.

Its embellishment.

@LizF wrote:

The ADA provides explicit coverage for service animals.   Businesses are allowed to ask if the animal is a service animal and ask what tasks it is trained to perform, but they are not allowed to ask the service animal to perform the task nor ask for a special ID of the animal.

I have never been harrassed by Southwest Airlines employees about my hearing dog.  Southwest Airlines employees have always been very kind to me.  

I was recently harassed by a TSA agent in Oklahoma City who rushed up to me to attempt to ask me what my small service dog "did" and if it served breakfast.  I saw her rushing towards me and that she was laughing, so she apparently thought her hateful actions were funny.  I couldn't hear what she was saying, but my husband did.  He reported her hateful behavior to the supervising agent.  I doubt anything will be done to correct this hateful TSA agent's behavior, but she was at least humiliated WITH ME in front of her TSA peers and all the waiting passengers.

jgallagh1944
Explorer C

Does the ADA actually state that the airline has to let the ESA fly at no fee? If not, SW could charge the people flying with pets the same fare for their pets that they would charge a passenger; that would put an end to most of the phonies looking for a cheap or free way of transporting their pets. For those who need an ESA, limit seating to the back of the plane. That way, those of us that don't want to share our space with someone's animal will be able to enjoy the flight as best we can. 

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@jgallagh1944 wrote:

Does the ADA actually state that the airline has to let the ESA fly at no fee? If not, SW could charge the people flying with pets the same fare for their pets that they would charge a passenger; that would put an end to most of the phonies looking for a cheap or free way of transporting their pets. For those who need an ESA, limit seating to the back of the plane. That way, those of us that don't want to share our space with someone's animal will be able to enjoy the flight as best we can. 

The Air Carrier Access Act ("ACAA") does prohibit airlines from charging a fee for support animals.

Unfortunately, Southwest (and the other airlines) have very little leeway in regard to carrying service animals. Passengers who are concerned about the possibility of fake service animals would be better advised to contact their U.S. Senator or Congressman than the airline.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Better hope your representative isnt a Democrat.

They are too busy on the "I hate Trump" narrative that they are not even going to listen to you.

@rtbarron wrote:

@jgallagh1944 wrote:

The Air Carrier Access Act ("ACAA") does prohibit airlines from charging a fee for support animals.

Unfortunately, Southwest (and the other airlines) have very little leeway in regard to carrying service animals. Passengers who are concerned about the possibility of fake service animals would be better advised to contact their U.S. Senator or Congressman than the airline.

Kate564
Explorer C

There should be no charge for having a pet in a carrier under the seat in front of you.  They already count as your carryon so why should you have to pay more for them?  It is just airlines making an extra buck not helping their customers

Bmunoz
Explorer C

I understand your concern, however, it is unfair to the rest of us who genuinly NEED an ESA and have an ASA to be limitede or contrained/questioned because you don't feel comfortable. I have a 90lbs GSD and I don't mind providing proof from my doctor, but if you're going to start restricting what I can and cannot do because you don't feel comfortable then that's just crazy 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Whats crazy is these untrained ESAs and fake ESAs biting people, crapping in the plane, etc....

@Bmunoz wrote:

I understand your concern, however, it is unfair to the rest of us who genuinly NEED an ESA and have an ASA to be limitede or contrained/questioned because you don't feel comfortable. I have a 90lbs GSD and I don't mind providing proof from my doctor, but if you're going to start restricting what I can and cannot do because you don't feel comfortable then that's just crazy 

jksobonya
Aviator A

This is a tough topic, because so many people *love* their pets and animals, but here it goes:

I don't have a problem with service animals. Some people genuinely need them for their disabilities. I do have a problem with "emotional support animals." I think "emotional support" is too vague a term and thus nearly anything can be an "emotional support" animal to the person - as evidenced by people trying to bring pigs, ducks, monkeys, and even turkeys on board an airplane (source: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/emotional-support-animals-planes-flights-peacoc...). 

Guys, no, just no. Your pet pig or baby horse or whatever it is is not an "emotional support" animal, I don't care how much you "love" it and how much "calmer" you are around it. You can survive any standard flight without your beloved animal with you. If you can't -- drive. Drive 10+ hours with your horse or peacock if you want, no one will stop you and you won't bother dozens of other people in the process. 

--Jessica

brendabean
Adventurer C

So many people repeat what they hear without seeing for themselves. I have flown with other ESAs and service dogs on over a dozen flights and I haven't seen the sensationalized stories of animals biting, pooping, etc. on any of the flights. For every 100 flights with a service animal on board, I am willing to bet less than 1 flight has issues. 

Just because someone needs their animal to fly, it doesn't mean they are treading on your rights or ability to enjoy the flight. Relax and enjoy your life people.