Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: limits to Service animals and ESA dogs?

LizaF
Explorer B

A dog is less likely to leave a "dirty" seat than an incontentent, elderly human.  Next time you go to any office with cloth seats, check out the stains.  

If your religion forbids you to have contact with dogs (Islam), you can always drive your car to your destination. 

vonjet
Explorer C

A lot of people done wipe either.  And to say an animal leaves a seat dirty for the next passenger is rediculous.  The seats are always dirty with left over food, crackers old candy and junk that person left not an animal.  These planes are never sanitized between flights.  Babys dont wipe either should we ban them too? Nuff said.. 

rlbee
Explorer C

This is in regards to the person complaining about their allergies.

You having allergies is not a disability. So if you have allergies and know you will be in an area with animals, then take some allergy medication prior to the flight. Service dogs are considered medical equipment. People like me have real debilitating disorders. Mine prevents me from driving among other things so I do not have other options when I travel. It’s kinda aweful that you think your allergy problem in flight being resolved is more important than service animals being able to accompany their handlers. In SW guidelines, the service animal must be clean, groomed and in sanitary conditions. This helps prevent excess dander getting into the air. Think about the perfumes, cleaning solutions, ect and other things not animal related on passengers, in the cabin and already in the air that you’re exposing yourself to. What about passengers who have a cat at home, show up at the airport covered in hair then that hair gets on your seat? There are so many things that can trigger allergies, yet you blame service animals. Yes a lot of people scam and shame on them and the companies for not actually checking into medical history/training. But don’t let those people cause you to feel ill towards those of us who NEED that animal to travel, function and (for some of us) to survive. 

mkb33763
Explorer C

I am an exclusive Southwest traveler. Until my trip this month I have not had problems with the animals. On my flight Tampa to Denver on July 28. There was a cat onboard. Even though it was in a kennel, I must have been seated near it. I had a severe allergy and asthma attack. I am allergic to cats and dogs. 

On my return trip, flight 1852 August 12, there was an ESA on the flight. It was a dog (not in a kennel). The passenger had it on a leash until she scanned her boarding pass. The agent could see that she had taken it off the leash. She sat with it in her lap, unrestrained. This is against SW policy but was not enforced.

I have a suggestion for SW. Since planes were designed with people, not animals, in mind; those traveling with animals be required to sit in the rear of the plane. I don't think the attendants make note of where the animals are. Someone who is allergic can sit very near an animal without knowing. In the future I will ask if there are animals confirmed. Unless the attendants take charge of the situation, how can they assist those with allergies. If they are restricted to a certain area of the plane, it will be easier for the attendants to know where they are. There is more consideration for the animals traveling (mostly free) than those who have paid for tickets and keep the airline running. Southwest, please do something about this so I can keep traveling on your airline.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mkb33763 wrote:

I am an exclusive Southwest traveler. Until my trip this month I have not had problems with the animals. On my flight Tampa to Denver on July 28. There was a cat onboard. Even though it was in a kennel, I must have been seated near it. I had a severe allergy and asthma attack. I am allergic to cats and dogs. 

On my return trip, flight 1852 August 12, there was an ESA on the flight. It was a dog (not in a kennel). The passenger had it on a leash until she scanned her boarding pass. The agent could see that she had taken it off the leash. She sat with it in her lap, unrestrained. This is against SW policy but was not enforced.

I have a suggestion for SW. Since planes were designed with people, not animals, in mind; those traveling with animals be required to sit in the rear of the plane. I don't think the attendants make note of where the animals are. Someone who is allergic can sit very near an animal without knowing. In the future I will ask if there are animals confirmed. Unless the attendants take charge of the situation, how can they assist those with allergies. If they are restricted to a certain area of the plane, it will be easier for the attendants to know where they are. There is more consideration for the animals traveling (mostly free) than those who have paid for tickets and keep the airline running. Southwest, please do something about this so I can keep traveling on your airline.

Sorry to hear that you had some trouble with other peoples' animals. In the future, I'd recommend that you pre announce your allergy to the gate attendant, and request assistance in seeing that you are seated as far from animals as possible.

I'm not sure it is practical to require that animals be located behind row X. Why? Some of the dogs are needed to help physically move their humans, so they are relatively large. In some cases the only place they "fit" is bulkhead row 1.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@mkb33763, we're saddened to hear of your experience. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to address your concerns here; however, we encourage you to reach out via the options in the link below.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

Nicole
Community Manager

Alexusnicoleh
Explorer C

Let me know where i can find a train that takes me overseas . Also I've met people who are dirtier than dogs and they have the chance to wipe. We PAY for transportation too. You sound like you need Claritin and a snickers 

@spiderblue wrote:

This issue with service animals/emotional support animals has gotten out of hand.  I was on a flight this past Monday morning and a lady walks up with 2 dogs and no container to put them in.  While inflight, one of them got away from her (she was on a window seat) and ran down the isle.  The poor flight attendant had to assist in capturing the dog.  Additionally, I have seen dogs in passenger seats (which is unsanitary as they don't wipe themselves), and leaves the next unsuspecting passenger on the next leg to sit in a "dirty" seat.  Additionally, what about people who are allergic to cats and dogs (as I am)?  The air in the plane is recirculated and with cats in particular, I am extremely allergic.  This must stop!  If people can't do without their precious animals, maybe they should drive or take the train.  I am not an animal hater, but more consideration has to be given to the PEOPLE who PAY for their transportation.  Your poor customer service agents and flight attendants are afraid to say anything less they create a situation where some nut case wants to sue SW under the guise of discriminating against some under the ADA.  One small step should be that those that might fly with an animal, register when they make their reservation so that if a PERSON with allergies also books on the same flight knows that they maybe introducting themselves into an environment that may have negative consequences for them.  To pretend that "all's well" is akin to sticking your head into the ground.  Southwest is better than that and you owe it to the employees that, for the most part, do a marvelous job.  Nuff said . . .

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Alexusnicoleh wrote:

Let me know where i can find a train that takes me overseas .

You can actually travel by cargo ship - but of course, that takes a lot longer than air travel does.

https://www.cargoshipvoyages.com/ 

--Jessica

brendabean
Adventurer C

People with large emotional support animals will usually sit up in the bulkhead. The animal should not spill into the aisle and be in control of the owner at all times. From reading the Soutwest Airlines ESA policy, there are no breed restrictions at this time. People who do not want to sit next to an animal may sit anywhere else on the plane since SWA does not have assigned seating. Southwest is one of the most compassionate airlines that make it easy for people traveling with service animals or emotional support animals to travel without excessive requirements and unnecessary documents that other airlines may require. However, you do have to contact SWA 48 hours in advance and submit your ESA letter to them via their website, phone or email.

beaner_46
Explorer C

Many of you are being judgmental. You are judging those of us with diabilities that aren't openly apparent to you and you don't even know us. I have severe PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety. I was prescribed an ESA for my PTSD. When I'm in close contact with large crowds of people (like at an airport or on an airplane), my PTSD affects me. 

It's NOT EASY to get on a SW flight with an ESA. I had to show a letter on a letterhead from my doctor, stating that he prescribed it AND stating my diagnosis. SW doesn't play around with this like you think they do. Just because you don't know the details of getting an ESA doesn't mean there aren't any. The letter can't even be over a year old. And you canNOT get them online. You can order an ESA vest online, but not a letter from a doctor. 

Stop assuming that because people don't have a physical disability that they don't need an ESA. And stop assuming that it's easy to prove your ESA is authentic to SW because it's definitely not. It's a legitimate process that weeds out people who are trying to bring pets onboard for free. SW is providing for people with legitimate disabilities or disorders, according to the law. 

It's my personal opinion that ESAs are becoming more common because doctors are seeing the value and benefits that they provide to their patients. I've definitely noticed more ESAs around in general and that would explain why there are more of them on flights. Laws are being obeyed whether you personally like it or not.