Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

masks for children

New Arrival

The requirement for mask wearing as it relates to children is too restrictive.    Young children and those (including "adults") with mental or emotional disabilities should be excluded or placed in special locations on the plane.    Even Dr. Fauci has wavered in his opinion of the effectiveness of masks.   It can be scary for very young children and if they are eating or drinking, an impossible situation to manage.     Concerned adults can wear masks to protect themselves.  

Please relax your policy.   I love SW airlines but we all have to show some common sense.  

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: masks for children

New Arrival

I totally agree!! We have a 3 year old and will be traveling with Southwest next month.  When we booked this flight we were told that they can have it off if eating a snack or drinking.  Another issue with our child is she takes a pacifier.  I know she's 3 and shouldnt have one, but she does and it calms her.  We have been practicing wearing a mask but a few minutes in she's taking it off.  I feel that children not of school age (5) should not have to wear them.  No wonder they are being kicked off the airline.  I have seen too many of these stories and feel Southwest needs to re evaluate this policy!  

Highlighted

I fly SWA because of their strict mask rules. 

Young children and those (including "adults") with mental or emotional disabilities should not be allowed to endanger everyone around them because they can’t or just won’t wear a mask. 

Highlighted

Rising Star

@Customer7 What a crazy world we live in today. COVID has really rocked the travel industry, and the airlines are doing what they can to ensure customers are safe.  I appreciate SW’s approach, and it makes me feel safer to fly.

That said, since this is primarily a customer community, I could recommend using one of the Contact Us options below to provide your feedback directly to Southwest.

Thanks!

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.
Highlighted

New Arrival

I agree mask for young children needs to re-evaluated! My 3 year old grandson along with his mother were hassled by a Flight Attendant this past Friday on a flight from Oregon to Denver. Then I read where a mother and her 2 year old son were asked to deplane because she was having a hard keeping this 2 year old to keep his mask on. Come on Southwest, you can do better!

Highlighted

Southwest is doing better by working to keep us all safe. I have little choice. I have to fly if I want to keep my job. I want as safe of a flying experience as possible.

Highlighted

New Arrival

Terrible way to treat a young mother and her toddler!  American treated them much better!

Highlighted

New Arrival

Absolutely!  Terrible way to treat a young mother and her toddler.  American treated them much better!

Highlighted

masks for children

New Arrival

Unfortunately, SW along with many other uninformed people, are sadly misguided in their mask regulations.  The science is clear, masks on children are not a medically safe nor sound practice.   It is certainly not making it safer to fly.  Masks are actually harmful for adults but I doubt the truth will prevail on that one.   When in a plane, with recirculated air, there is always the possibility of being exposed to a number of viruses, etc.   

The reported behavior of SW towards families with small children is appalling.  From what I have read of the incidents, the families were attempting to comply.  All the fearful people commenting about the rules being the rules, and how safe they feel with small children wearing masks perhaps do not understand children, viruses much less the science?

I do not travel with small children, I used to travel a lot but the mask mandates are so ridiculous that I refuse to travel.   

I have an excellent article by a retired brain surgeon on the dangers of wearing masks and how ineffective they truly are if anyone is interested in the actual science.   

If you choose to believe a lie, your mask should adequately protect you from a two year old drinking from a sippy cup and having a snack.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

The science is very clear that masks help reduce the spread of the virus, especially when social distancing isn't really possible (like in the confined space of an airplane). And, Southwest's policies are very clear. If unable or unwilling to comply, you should consider other forms of transportation at this time. Despite the prevalent disinformation, we are still in the throes of a pandemic -- one that continues to kill 1,000+ people in the US each day. Masks, social distancing, testing and (eventually) vaccines are the only real tools we have to get to the other side of this. It amazes me that so many people are willing to believe crackpots and literal disinformation campaigns instead of the sensible, logical advice of legitimate scientists. America, 2020. 😞