Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: masks for children

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@kevin71246 Sorry to debunk your post, but I googled "articles or statements that state wearing a mask ELIMINATES  the chance of getting a virus.  SORRY, none exist.  What I have found, and what I've always felt was being presented, is that wearing a mask helps decrease the "potential" spread and/or to minimize it.  I understand that options may have been available, but I really think you could have requested to move without any hesitation of a FA to assist you.  You, nor anyone, shouldn't be inhibited to request this, even if it (if it does) embarrasses or calls out somebody who is coughing.  I'm a runner and wear a mask while running, and I hate it.  When I come across others out walking their dogs, running, riding bikes, (it's mandated in my state to wear masks even when exercising) I always, YES always, look at them and point to my mask to signal that they should also have one.  I don't care about hurting somebody's feelings.  I'm sorry you hate to deal with the process of COIVD, I hope you recovered. 

fedgir
Explorer C

Hello everyone,

The masks with elastic are likely to work best for children, but it’s important to make sure you have the right size. While adult masks are usually 6 by 12 inches, a child-sized mask measuring 5 by 10 inches might still be too large for young children. You’ll want to find one that’s the right size for your kid’s face and adjust it to make sure it’s secure.

Nmbmmm
Explorer C

That's very rude and disrespectful of you to stay.. Everyone should be allowed to travel regardless of mental or emotional issues and the airlines should accommodate that just like they would for someone in a wheelchair or any other disability..

warrencab
Explorer C

I sincerely hope that those parents who argue that children and/or with emotional and/or cognitive disabilities should not fly if they cannot wear a mask, will never have to walk in our shoes.

Heartbreaking.

Krissi1956
Explorer C

Who the h** are you???  No empathy is an understatement!!

I NEVER post anything online,  but I have a now two-year-old preemie granddaughter (turned 2 on Feb 28) who, because of all of this covid restriction nonsense, has been staying at home only seeing Momma and Daddy for the last year of her little life. She has no idea what this mask wearing is all about (mainly because she hasn't been around anyone else), so of course she is going to panic if somebody tries to put something over her face. She has not been around other people, like Dr. Fauci and others have recommended. So therefore she has no idea what is going on. And you are going to tell me a baby like that should be forced to put a mask over their face? Are you absolutely crazy? Obviously you don't have small children or grandchildren or either you have no sensitive bones in your body.

Southwest has always been my airline of choice and still are, but they at a minimum should enforce mask wearing at age 3.

Get out of here.

Krissi1956
Explorer C

2 year old are babies ... not just "young children."

@ffflyer wrote:

I fly SWA because of their strict mask rules. 

Young children and those (including "adults") with mental or emotional disabilities should not be allowed to endanger everyone around them because they can’t or just won’t wear a mask. 

cmcarpen78
Explorer B

Get a vaccine.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@Customer7 What a crazy world we live in today. COVID has really rocked the travel industry, and the airlines are doing what they can to ensure customers are safe.  I appreciate SW’s approach, and it makes me feel safer to fly.

That said, since this is primarily a customer community, I could recommend using one of the Contact Us options below to provide your feedback directly to Southwest.

Thanks!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

klewis32
Explorer C

I agree mask for young children needs to re-evaluated! My 3 year old grandson along with his mother were hassled by a Flight Attendant this past Friday on a flight from Oregon to Denver. Then I read where a mother and her 2 year old son were asked to deplane because she was having a hard keeping this 2 year old to keep his mask on. Come on Southwest, you can do better!

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest is doing better by working to keep us all safe. I have little choice. I have to fly if I want to keep my job. I want as safe of a flying experience as possible.