Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: masks for children

dwtjst
Explorer C

Terrible way to treat a young mother and her toddler!  American treated them much better!

dwtjst
Explorer C

Absolutely!  Terrible way to treat a young mother and her toddler.  American treated them much better!

masks for children

Grandmamallama
Explorer C

Unfortunately, SW along with many other uninformed people, are sadly misguided in their mask regulations.  The science is clear, masks on children are not a medically safe nor sound practice.   It is certainly not making it safer to fly.  Masks are actually harmful for adults but I doubt the truth will prevail on that one.   When in a plane, with recirculated air, there is always the possibility of being exposed to a number of viruses, etc.   

The reported behavior of SW towards families with small children is appalling.  From what I have read of the incidents, the families were attempting to comply.  All the fearful people commenting about the rules being the rules, and how safe they feel with small children wearing masks perhaps do not understand children, viruses much less the science?

I do not travel with small children, I used to travel a lot but the mask mandates are so ridiculous that I refuse to travel.   

I have an excellent article by a retired brain surgeon on the dangers of wearing masks and how ineffective they truly are if anyone is interested in the actual science.   

If you choose to believe a lie, your mask should adequately protect you from a two year old drinking from a sippy cup and having a snack.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The science is very clear that masks help reduce the spread of the virus, especially when social distancing isn't really possible (like in the confined space of an airplane). And, Southwest's policies are very clear. If unable or unwilling to comply, you should consider other forms of transportation at this time. Despite the prevalent disinformation, we are still in the throes of a pandemic -- one that continues to kill 1,000+ people in the US each day. Masks, social distancing, testing and (eventually) vaccines are the only real tools we have to get to the other side of this. It amazes me that so many people are willing to believe crackpots and literal disinformation campaigns instead of the sensible, logical advice of legitimate scientists. America, 2020. 😞

jksobonya
Aviator A

I agree that children as young as 2 years old really shouldn't need to wear a mask. Let the adults handle the mask wearing, if you're so inclined. (I'm also hoping the rules in general will be loosened soon and all of this will be behind us.)

Like everything else this year, masks have become politicized. To me, masks provide a level of comfort and a "Look, I'm doing something! I'm helping!" feeling. The jury is out on how effective they really are against COVID-19 in specific. Some people may feel safer wearing them - and some may continue to wear them forever to lessen getting any kind of germs. I am not one of those people.   😋

But back to the children, it were up to me, I'd change the rules so that children 5 and under shouldn't have to wear a mask.

--Jessica

jse
Explorer C

So you'd have no problem sitting next to someone not wearing a mask that knowingly has Covid?

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@jse  are you referring to a child? 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

jus4lelee
Explorer C

I agree.  I have a 2 year old that has asthma and has a binky and there is no way that she can fly with a mask on for the entire trip.  I was just told by customer service that they will not accept the note from her doctor either due to people abusing the policy.  Which i have not seen an announcement from SWA anywhere.  I had to move our trip to Hawaii to Dec with the hope that the mask requirement will be lifted in Nov like they said. Mask requirements for small children should be relaxed especially those with medical conditions.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

It’s a total joke to expect a toddler to wear a face covering. However, it’s not just SW who requires this...most airlines are following this practice.

It’s obvious that parents are stressed while dealing with this unrealistic “guideline”, and deserve some flexibility. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

OMG, how long will people continue to misrepresent what Dr. Fauchi said about wearing masks and why he said it, and most of all, WHEN, he said it.