Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

masks for children

Customer7
Explorer C

The requirement for mask wearing as it relates to children is too restrictive.    Young children and those (including "adults") with mental or emotional disabilities should be excluded or placed in special locations on the plane.    Even Dr. Fauci has wavered in his opinion of the effectiveness of masks.   It can be scary for very young children and if they are eating or drinking, an impossible situation to manage.     Concerned adults can wear masks to protect themselves.  

Please relax your policy.   I love SW airlines but we all have to show some common sense.  

47 REPLIES 47

Re: masks for children

BSteiger
Explorer C

I totally agree!! We have a 3 year old and will be traveling with Southwest next month.  When we booked this flight we were told that they can have it off if eating a snack or drinking.  Another issue with our child is she takes a pacifier.  I know she's 3 and shouldnt have one, but she does and it calms her.  We have been practicing wearing a mask but a few minutes in she's taking it off.  I feel that children not of school age (5) should not have to wear them.  No wonder they are being kicked off the airline.  I have seen too many of these stories and feel Southwest needs to re evaluate this policy!  

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

I fly SWA because of their strict mask rules. 

Young children and those (including "adults") with mental or emotional disabilities should not be allowed to endanger everyone around them because they can’t or just won’t wear a mask. 

mfguz07
Explorer B

What a lack of empathy! So you are saying that children and emotionally disabled people should be banned from traveling? What is this the 19th century! Why don’t you stop using airplanes since you are not a child nor mentally disabled, you can drive!!! Or even better, if you are traveling don’t eat, don’t use the restrooms, don’t sit where another person has been seated before. I bet you are that kind of person who judges parents when their children are crying. We seriously need to educate people on these topics and raise awareness. Otherwise, as humanity we will always be slaves of ridiculous rules and judgement. Ugh!!!!! 

mfguz07
Explorer B

Stop trying to treat kids as adults! A Two year old does not understand many things and you cannot make children that young wear a mask against their will! Older children, of school age are much more mature. A two year old is barely starting to put words together. Come on!!!! 

dfwskier
Aviator A

All airlines are doing it the same way. Passengers over 2 MUST wear masks. They're trying to stop the spread of the disease and prevent people from getting sick or even dying.

Stop being selfish.

You could always fly Delta - where you would be banned for life from the airline for not wearing a mask. It's already happened over 700 times.

Schultz2127
Explorer C

Delta states that young children over 2 who cannot maintain a mask is not required to wear one. So if anything, Delta has a better policy that this post would want!!!

Nmbmmm
Explorer C

Stop being selfish!? we're talking about children! If your that scared DON'T TRAVEL! 

Krissi1956
Explorer C

Exactly!!

kevin71246
Explorer B

Ignorance is a funny thing. And false sense of security is the first thing that comes to mind, when people say stupid things like "I appreciate their strict enforcement of masks so we're all safe when flying"... Masks don't do what you expect so if you're afraid of the virus you need to stay home.  If you think that recirculating cabin air will eliminate xfer of the virus then I don't know where to begin.

I just got back from a flight where I sat next to a guy that was coughing. Well we were both wearing masks so I was safe of course. Of course.  Well I got covid from him.