Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: masks for children

warrencab
Explorer C

Wholeheartedly agree!  Our son who has Autism with sensory integration disorder will not and cannot keep a mask on his face.  Southwest has always made accomodations for him through pre-boarding, but the application process and the hoops you must jump through are ridiculous In March of 2021!  Come on, Southwest!   A doctor's note explaining why should suffice!!

Pre-boarding should take care of this process!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@warrencab wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree!  Our son who has Autism with sensory integration disorder will not and cannot keep a mask on his face.  Southwest has always made accomodations for him through pre-boarding, but the application process and the hoops you must jump through are ridiculous In March of 2021!  Come on, Southwest!   A doctor's note explaining why should suffice!!

Sorry. There’s a federal rule that everyone 2 and over must wear a mask. A doctors note does not overrule that

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@warrencab wrote:

@warrencab 

We understand your concerns and sincerely regret any added stress the conditions required for those requesting an exemption have caused. The conditions serve the purposes of ensuring that only qualified People under the exemptions would be able to travel without a mask and promoting Safety. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance in applying for an exemption for your son. Our Representatives would be happy to assist.

Nicole
Community Manager

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

If someone's respiratory condition is so severe that they would suffer harm wearing a mask, I wouldn't think it wise for them to fly when there is a serious pandemic of a respiratory virus. Another thing to consider is that people who can't or won't wear a mask on a plane are very unlikely to wear masks in other situations, making them more likely to contract COVID and thus more likely to be spreading it. 

I'm sorry to those of you who want to take your child to Hawaii for vacation because they can't/won't wear a mask. However, consider that I can't not fly and keep my job. Taking your child on vacation vs feeding my child without leaving her fatherless. It is a value judgment, of course, but I know my opinion on the matter.

wstocker
Explorer C

I am tired of sacrificing for insane people who want a false sense of security. I was unable to see my mom before she died because of covid and now a year later I can't even bring my family to spread her ashes because my two year old will absolutely NOT wear a mask for a two hour flight. To the people saying don't fly. HOW ABOUT YOU MAKE A SACRIFICE FOR ONCE and not fly and allow everyone else with a brain cell who can read data to breathe. Whoever came up with the idea that two year olds should wear a mask obviously does not have a two year old. My son can't even SPEAK yet. Getting real tired of this crap!

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Try making a game of it to see who can wear the mask the longest (and start this when you book your flight - don't know of many booking flights for their 2 year old the next day so should be plenty of time to play the game and learn to wear it). Make it fun for them and they will wear it.

Why do we make excuses that my kid is only 2 and can't wear a mask.  Do they wear the clothing you put on them while you would fly? would they wear the shoes you put on them for the flight? would they wear a coat/hat/mittens if you told them they needed to because it was cold outside?  If you answer yes to any of these and more questions, they can wear a mask if you tell them to.  They are also not asking you to tape the mask to their faces, so there is room to leave a little area for extra breathing if needed.  

wstocker
Explorer C

PDFelter What about my child doesn't know how to speak or understand words yet do you not understand. I cannot communicate a game like that to him. His daycare he goes to every day can't even get him to wear a mask, so somehow you think it's magically possible that he will not only sit still, but wear something covering his face for two hours. If you think that is ok, you are a psychopath. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your problem, but you are dealing with a federal regulation. Southwest has no control in the matter.

If you want to  complain, You should contact your elected federal reps