Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: masks for children

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Customer7 

Here's the deal, Masks save lives.  Here is a recent, Jan 17, an article from AZ

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/hundreds-of-children-being-admitted-to-arizona-hospitals-for-covid...

Do you really want to risk your child's health????  

A new strain that appears to be more contagious, (not more deadly than we know of yet) but in the last report from the UK, it shows the potential to be.   

I'm not a scientist, but I'm thinking that if the COVID can mutate, it will eventually figure out how to get around a child's immune system that has been protecting them up to this point, and it looks like it has. 

Iforgited
Explorer C

I think SWA should re-consider this policy to be in alignment with the latest guidance from the CDC, specifically for people with developmental disabilities and to comply with the Air Carriers Access Act. I have a developmentally disabled (Angelman Syndrome) 5 year old, I would love to take my child to see their neurologist in BOS @ Mass General, but we can not easily make it there from MKE due to SWAs unrelenting absolutely no exceptions policy on masks for travelers over the age of 2. If I could get my child to wear a mask, believe me I would, I have tried EVERYTHING. My child removes any mask within one second or less. My child has the cognitive abilities of a 18-24mo old, so in essence they align with SWA policy. However since she is obviously much larger then a child under age 2, there are no exceptions or considerations. SWA continues to willfully violate the Air Carrier Access Act ,specifically 382.19(a), which states that carriers “must not refuse to provide transportation to a passenger with a disability on the basis of his or her disability.” Although airlines are permitted to refuse disabled passengers who pose a “direct threat” to the health and safety of others, they are required to conduct an “individualized assessment” of each disabled passenger. SWA is clearly willfully violating this law, there is no option to have an individualized assessment, there is no documented determination that my child is a direct threat to others. (Child already has had covid, so the threat level is almost zero BTW. will happily isolate her and get her tested for covid before traveling) SWA just has a blanket ban on disabled individuals who due to their disability are unable to wear a mask. 

Anyways SWA has the best schedule for nonstop flights between MKE and BOS for us, not super early am or late night. I guess we will just have to wait until SWA decides to follow the law again. Additionally, for an airline that is based on ‘love’, SWAs lack of empathy, compassion or understanding in this scenario makes me want to never fly them again. I am not trying to buck the system, like SWA reps seem to imply, just looking for a medically indicated exception, or at least an individualized assessment by SWA as required by federal law, which all most all other airlines honor (Delta, American, United, etc). We are trying to get my child the healthcare she needs for her extremely rare neurological condition. Anyways rant over. 

AmyM
Explorer C

I agree if the CDC and Dr Fauci aren't recommending masks for children under 5 neither should airlines, my state specifically exempts children under 5. I have flown Southwest twice since the pandemic (so 8 different flights) and almost every flight attendant allowed my 3 year old to sit quietly and watch a movie while snacking and drinking without a mask without a problem but I thought we were going to get kicked off on our most recent flight because I was rocking my son to sleep and his eyes were almost closed and was told I had to put a mask on him I politely said no he's falling asleep and that would be a safety hazard for him to wear while asleep and then I was very sternly told it doesn't matter you must put a mask on him so I did and of course it woke him up so we spent the next 15 minutes annoying every one around us as he screamed and fought putting it on and kept trying to cuddle me to fall asleep, it was really sad and broke my heart his face was turning red and he started hyperventilating and the mask was being sucked in as he tried to catch his breath. Finally we started the landing process and I knew no one would come check on him any more so I let him cuddle with no mask and he was sound asleep in 2 minutes and I tossed a blanket over my shoulder to drape over him...literally that simple I don't why they can't be understanding especially because the passengers around me told the attendant they weren't bothered by him not wearing a mask to be rocked to sleep. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

There is a federal rule that every passenger age 2 and up must wear a mask. End of story,

It makes no difference what your state laws are.

The FA didn't require a mask on your child because he was eating/drinking. The FA did require a mask on your child when he WAS NOT eating/drinking. That is part of the standard protocol.

Sarajodouglas
Explorer C

And that standard protocol is ridiculous and being discussed here. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Sarajodouglas wrote:

And that standard protocol is ridiculous and being discussed here. 

Discussing it here will not change the protocol,. Maybe you should tell the president the protocol is ridiculous. He's the one that made the rule. 

cmcarpen78
Explorer B

FYI - your federal mandate doesn't apply to persons with disabilities. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@cmcarpen78 wrote:

FYI - your federal mandate doesn't apply to persons with disabilities. 

Actually, it does. The mandate requires those with disabilities seek an exception from the carrier should they want to travel without wearing a mask. You can find information about Southwest's exception request procedure below. Be forewarned though, the exception policy is tough.

Exemption to Federal Mask Requirement on Southwest Airlines

Sarajodouglas
Explorer C

This breaks my heart. I’m so scared to travel with my son in April. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I note in all of these discussions, those of use who must fly frequently to feed our families (I fly every week) are invariably in favor of stronger safety protocols. The people against strict mask protocols are those who are taking that trip they do every year or two or so.

I just want to feed my daughter without dying in the process.