Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

medical supplies

tcworld1
Explorer C

I use a manual wheelchair for mobility.  I am aware that you get to have two pieces of luggage for free when you travel.  If I don't want to take my medical supplies with me in the cabin as a carry on can I check them as luggage and not get charged for them?  They would be in addition to my two regular pieces.

Trina

6 REPLIES 6

Re: medical supplies

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@tcworld1 I’m sure that every situation can be looked at differently, especially your question. My advice to you is to click on the link below to see the policies. 

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol....

Have a great trip! 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Strong advice would be to carry your meds with you in the cabin.

Why? Luggage does get misplaced, delayed or lost. What would you do if it happened to your meds?

tcworld1
Explorer C

The supplies will be in a duffle bag.  I will already have my wheelchair, cushion and purse.  I'm concerned that that will be to many items for the cabin.  I always keep my medications in my purse.  This in an addition.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@tcworld1 wrote:

The supplies will be in a duffle bag.  I will already have my wheelchair, cushion and purse.  I'm concerned that that will be to many items for the cabin.  I always keep my medications in my purse.  This in an addition.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that your wheelchair does not count as a carry on. You are entiteld to two carry ons. Your purse would be one. If the duffle is small enough (no more that 24x16x10) it could be a carry on. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Strong advice would be to carry your meds with you in the cabin.

Why? Luggage does get misplaced, delayed or lost. What would you do if it happened to your meds?

Second to that one - those should be carried on if possible.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

audymaccop
Explorer C

@tcworld1 wrote:

I use a manual wheelchair for mobility.  I am aware that you get to have two pieces of luggage for free when you travel.  If I don't want to take my medical supplies with me in the cabin as a carry on can I check them as luggage and not get charged for them?  They would be in addition to my two regular pieces.

Trina

I generally keep my medicines in my handbag. This in an expansion.