Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

military discount

janed1980
Explorer C

Does Southwest offer military discount to the military???

15 REPLIES 15

Re: military discount

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

According to what I’ve read this is a set fare and not a discount. If you want to book reservations utilizing their military discount call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA .

lhankins61
Explorer C

They offer what they call a Military Discount but it truly isnt'.  I tried to book airfare for my son who is active military and was told they only have a few alloted seats on each flight with a "military discount" .  That is not a military discount.  A true military discount applies to all military all the time regardless......boo Southwest.

jnpeppers
Explorer A

I applaud Southwest for making even a few seats available at a reduced rate for military. If they are flying on orders, the government pays the ticket. I am active duty military and we can't be drawn into an entitled mentality. No one is required to give us money other than Uncle Sam.

Jamil730
Explorer C

They do not offer a military discount. Just because they say it’s a military discount doesn’t actually mean it’s one. If you are a cheaper price to the general public then you offer the military when they call In that is not a discount. The trick here is to just say you offer the military discount but then never actually give them a discount so it actually makes you look good as a company. These folks are a genuine joke.

Fun4Tracy
Explorer C

Not true.  Southwest is in the business to make money, just like other companies.  They offer space on all their flights for discounted military fares, but they do have to have limitations.  Thank your son for his service.  Mine is in the Marines currently and has availability issues with military fares too.  It's controlled like many other things.  The earlier you are able to confirm plans, the lower your price. 

TorryH
Explorer C

Thank you SWA!

As a result of the military discount, I was able to purchase tickets two days out from my wife and childrens departure. I needed to get them to my mother-in-laws bedside who has taken the turn for the worse. The cost was less than half of what the other airlines offered (even with their emergency medical rates). 

The money I saved is now being utilized to cover the cost associated with allowing my in-law to pass in her room at the assisted living where she is a resident (her request). Without the discount, we would not have been able to cover the cost for the additional medical care required for her to do so.

Thank you again SWA!!!   

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@TorryH,

On behalf of Southwest Airlines, I am deeply sorry for the difficult situation your family is in at this time. It is always an honor for us to connect people to what, and who, is important in their lives. We are grateful that you and your family have chosen to fly Southwest, and we look forward to continuing to serve you under better circumstances. 

adripetty1775
Explorer C

good morning, 

Im trying to get information about the miltary discount. i have to attend a funreal for a family member next month. When i called this morning, the lady was giving me attuite about the flights i was asking about. Im a retired marine and my husband is active duty. i dont know if you are able to help me or not. 

Adri 

jnpeppers
Explorer A

Please just stop mentioning military at all, since your official policy is for uniformed only. That policy is so offensive.

Southwest, you don't HAVE to have a policy allowing military members to board early (uniformed or otherwise). But since you INSIST ON PRETENDING that you do, by announcing early boarding for military in uniform, we will keep pointing out the hypocrisy of your position. We are not fodder for your public relations smoke and mirror, and we don't appreciate being used to make it seem like you are friendly to the military when in fact you are just the opposite.

@NicoleAshley is the latest SWA bot to send this email: "We are saddened to hear that you feel this way."  What a non-responsive, insult-to-injury thing to say, @NicoleAshley . She further suggests reaching out, "via official channels," with a link provided. Good luck with that one. Here is the response (from a "no-reply" address):

Here is the response I received on 7 SEP 2017, when I did attempt to use the "official channel" email: "We allow active, uniformed military personnel to board after the "A" boarding group..."  The long email was full of self-serving platitudes, but it also included this: "Please know that our overall objective is to advertise our product in the marketplace."

That's fine, really. Advertise. Just don't use us to make it seem like you are so benevolent toward the military. By requiring military personnel to suit up, you are actually hurting the military. Just don't say anything about the military and be consistent.