Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: military discount

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi @jnpeppers, I'm sorry to hear you feel I'm a bot! I'm actually a moderator of the Southwest Community, which is a peer-to-peer support forum, meaning a place for Customers to share their stories with each other, and yes their grievances too. As a moderator, I'm here primarily to ensure folks are adhering to our Community Guidelines (for instance, being kind to each other and on-topic).

When folks come here with concerns, we ask that they reach out to our Customer Service Teams who have the ability and access to pull up specific reservations and document complaints. Because there are more than one way to reach our Customer Service Teams, we include the link below that shows you where you can reach out. 

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

Kjoseph
Explorer C

In all honesty active service members are not allowed to be in uniform unless it is on their official orders. Any leisure travel absolutely no military members should be wearing uniforms! As this causing attention to them and could put them at risk. Kinda like how air marshals try to dress and act normal on a flight. So yes by saying"in uniform" does upset military members and their immediate family members. Every time I flew with my now veteran husband and we heard that we would not get up. He would not wear his uniform unless ordered to and most do not want to be in them longer than they have to. 

Jamil730
Explorer C

Amen! We don’t even want folks to fly in uniform if they don’t have to!!! Why put a target on our backs! They are literally doing this to say they support the military but actually DO NOT!!its super offensive 

HuntNXS
Explorer C

As a former Marine, I've flown on the majority of airlines, with Southwest being one of them. I can understand why some get upset by their not being an "official" military discount. However, Southwest's fares are typically much cheaper than many other airlines. They are an efficient, cost-conscious airline, and do it well. They HAVE to make a profit, or they are gone.

Southwest has always taken good care of me and my family, including my military family. I've not once had a negative experience in the 40 plus years I've been flying.  I like the fact that they are a "no-nonsense" airline, providing an affordable service. I enjoy the "laid-back" atmosphere where you rarely see an employee wearing a tie, coat, suit etc...  I had a meeting years ago with the CEO, I believe it was in the early 90's, he was in his biking shorts and a t-shirt. He was not "stuffy" and as an avid cyclist, we had a great meeting. I was just a young salesman but he treated me with dignity and respect. I'll never forget the experience. BTW, his bike was in his office as well.

I'm sorry if Southwest doesn't meet your needs, but it meets the majority of people's needs and I believe they have done an exceptional job. They are not a "non-profit", they have to make a profit. If you feel that their prices are high, check another airline or start flying lessons. 

ahurston94
Explorer C

Southwest stating that they offer a "military fare" is a false advertisement. I booked a flight under the Anytime (i.e., refundable) tier. When I saw that Southwest's advertises that they have military rates, I called to inquire about the price difference. I was told that the "military rate" was simply the Wanna Get Away ticket, which is non-refundable. So, I would have to downgrade my ticket to that tier, and lose all perks under the Anytime tier. I specifically asked the Southwest agent if I could have the military rate and keep the Anytime tier. She said no, that the only way to get the military rate would be to simply book the Wanna Get Away ticket, which I could have done online. So, again, false advertising regarding military fares.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sounds like there's some confusion here. Southwest's military fare is basically a discount off the Anytime fare. Anytime fares are fully refundable, but are not the lowest cost fares available. For the cheapest fare, book Wanna Get Away. If you need refundability, and qualify, book a military fare.

If you're booking last minute, the military fare can actually be close to or lower than the Wanna Get Away one. This is a good use of the military fare.