Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

multi city online booking

Eertnuor
Explorer C

Any other airline (and online agency like Orbitz, Kayak, etc) offers this option for online search: Airports A to B to C to A. But not Southwest.   If you want that trip, you have to book two separate tickets: Airports A to B to C, and then Airports C to A. Huh? When I wrote customer service their answer was “this option is only preferred by a few customer” so tough luck. Seems short-sighted. So I am booking online with Delta or American I guess. Any ideas as to why they continue to not offer this? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: multi city online booking

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I think I understand what you are saying. You want not just to connect through city B but actually have a stop there, right?

As far as I am concerned, booking two tickets is just fine because SW prices their segments based on going one way. A round trip is essentially two one ways with the cost for each added together to total the full RT cost. Other airlines do not price like this, so understanding what you are paying for what is more difficult. SW makes it transparent. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Eertnuor wrote:

Any other airline (and online agency like Orbitz, Kayak, etc) offers this option for online search: Airports A to B to C to A. But not Southwest.   If you want that trip, you have to book two separate tickets: Airports A to B to C, and then Airports C to A. Huh? When I wrote customer service their answer was “this option is only preferred by a few customer” so tough luck. Seems short-sighted. So I am booking online with Delta or American I guess. Any ideas as to why they continue to not offer this? 

Unless the stop in B was a day trip, I would probably book these as one-way tickets on Southwest, for the most part in my favor for ease of management of the tickets. 

I thought on a previous thread we learned that although these are separate tickets they could be combined into one confirmation number if that was your concern, but you'd have to call to do it, it's not a self-service option.

I'm not sure what the advantage for you would be with the other guys being able to do that, which you couldn't do with Southwest by making separate tickets? The cost on Southwest would be the same either way.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Seems like an odd way to decide which airline to book through, especially given how much added flexibility booking separate one-way tickets provides (as @DancingDavidE mentioned), but if that's your #1 factor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To recap, for me the best reasons to book one-way flights is to enable you to make changes and reprice tickets without having to call in. Neither of those options is available without a fee or more expensive ticket on other airlines. Other discussions about this in the Community have mentioned other benefits of booking one-way vs roundtrip, but I'm in vacation mode today and not thinking too clearly.

--TheMiddleSeat

Goldspeaker
Explorer C

Why bother having a multi-city link that doesn't work then? It is frustrating as hell when shopping for competitive pricing and the SW site just plain doesn't work. It makes you want to avoid SW for all flights. Please think of your customer's convenience and get your act together!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Goldspeaker Care to be more specific? Perhaps someone here can help you do what you're trying to do, but without further details it's a little hard to do.

--TheMiddleSeat