passports

kenzie819
Explorer C

do you need a passport to fly within the united states? new to this. thank you

6 REPLIES 6

Re: passports

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

No you do not, but you can use it to pass through security.

Here are all your ID options.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

kenzie819
Explorer C

So its not a neccesity but it helps the process of getting through?Thank you!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@kenzie819 wrote:

So its not a neccesity but it helps the process of getting through?Thank you!

Actually, all of the listed ID options are valid, and work perfectly well.  A passport is no more valid than the others. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kenzie819 wrote:

To take a new approach to this - are you an international visitor?

Most people use their state-issued driver's license, a few people have passports, and a Global Entry card is also accepted by TSA (they issue that one themselves).

However for any international visitors the passport may be one of the most reliable methods.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@kenzie819 wrote:

Most people use their state-issued driver's license, a few people have passports, and a Global Entry card is also accepted by TSA (they issue that one themselves).

However for any international visitors the passport may be one of the most reliable methods.

Thanks for the clarification.I never considered that the OP might be international

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@kenzie819 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.I never considered that the OP might be international

Many people don't even have a passport (or Global Entry card) so I was wondering if there was an angle to it not yet mentioned.

If so - definitely passport. I mean you would need to have it on you anyway right, since it is your "receipt" for coming through customs?

If not - pick any one of state-issued ID, passport, or Global Entry card as @dfwskier mentioned, there's no preference among those by TSA. Of course if you are renting a car while traveling, you'll need your driver's license.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.