Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

personal carry on

bobbij1
Explorer C

I just bought a piece of luggage called an 'Underseater'. The dimensions were listed as 15 x 13 x 8.

When I got home and measured it, they did not include the little spinner wheels at the bottom, which add an inch to the 8", making it 9" at the very bottom where the wheels are.  The rest of the bag is 8" and the other dimensions are 17 x 13 with the wheels.  The label shows the bag laying flat under a seat with the little spinner wheels butted up against the edge of the under-seat area and looks like it is fine.  However, I see Southwest has the max listed as 8.5".  I am wondering if this would pass as an underseater afterall.I called the c/s and the guy told me it is fine, but I am not sure he understood what I was saying.  Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Re: personal carry on

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@bobbij1 wrote:

I just bought a piece of luggage called an 'Underseater'. The dimensions were listed as 15 x 13 x 8.

When I got home and measured it, they did not include the little spinner wheels at the bottom, which add an inch to the 8", making it 9" at the very bottom where the wheels are.  The rest of the bag is 8" and the other dimensions are 17 x 13 with the wheels.  The label shows the bag laying flat under a seat with the little spinner wheels butted up against the edge of the under-seat area and looks like it is fine.  However, I see Southwest has the max listed as 8.5".  I am wondering if this would pass as an underseater afterall.I called the c/s and the guy told me it is fine, but I am not sure he understood what I was saying.  Thanks

I think it would be fine. Southwest doesn't charge extra to put it in the overhead (as opposed to some others) so you'll be in great shape either way.

It may be a little tighter on the aisle seats, the center underseat is very large, and the window underseat area is also large but there is more allowance at the top than at floor level.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bobbij1
Explorer C

Ok thank you...I do have a carry on as well....so that was my concern really...are they very picky if the wheels don't go all the way under...not sure what I would do if so...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Unless the wheels are large, as in several inches in diameter, I don't see them being a problem. People bring all sorts of large, bulky bags and crews let it go as long as it's not going to impede someone trying to exit the plane. Taking a window seat would make it easier even less of an issue (more hidden from view and not in anyone's way but your own).

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

I agree with the customer service rep. Maybe the wheels stick out a tiny bit, but unless they're particularly large wheels you should be fine. There was a whole discussion about under seat dimensions that you can also check out here:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Space-under-Seats/m-p/70469/highlig...

Worst case scenario you put it in the overhead, unless you're unwilling/unable to do so, but I don't believe you'll have any problems with it under the seat. 

Let us know how it goes 

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

bobbij1
Explorer C
Solution

Ok thanks...that discussion shows 8,25 and So, West allows 8.5 lol.  Either way  about 3" up from the bottom of the wheels the plastic housing has about an inch that sticks out making that area 9"..sort if a curved design...But it may catch at the 3" up. as it goes from 8" graduating to 9" then back to about 8.5 at the end of the wheels. I am paranoid I guess...don't fly alot 🙂

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Please reply back with a report on how it is goes and perhaps a link to where you bought it and pictures of it on the plane (hopefully under the seat). It's always interesting to hear about new products.

--TheMiddleSeat

bobbij1
Explorer C

Yes I will thank you, I suppose worst case scenario they make me check in one...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bobbij1 wrote:

Yes I will thank you, I suppose worst case scenario they make me check in one...

The underseat item would probably also be put overhead if the FA came back through and it was sticking out too far - no one would be asking you if you had already put an item in the overhead at that point.

Only if it really stuck out, and if the overheads were all full (not even enough room for this little suitcase) - then you would have to gate check. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Hotbike
Explorer C

Funny I just bout the London Fog underseat that the dimensions say, even with spinner wheels, it will fit under a Southwest seat. Absolutely no way. I just flew and had to put it in over ahead. i sat in an aside seat on a Boeing 737-700 and it definitely would not fit.