Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

portagble chargers?

jamiejaypyle
Explorer C

Are portable chargers allowed on the plane?  Or should we check them?  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: portagble chargers?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @jamiejaypyle,

Yes, you can bring your portable charger on the plane. 

From the U.S. Department of Transportation:

"If you're planning a trip, you may bring your laptop computer, cell phone, camera, personal digital assistant, or other battery-powered devices as these items are still safe to fly! Batteries pose little risk when contained within the devices they power if steps are taken to prevent inadvertent activation."

You can get more information here.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @DJF,

After doing additional research, I can confirm that devices containing small consumer grade lithium batteries are fine in carryon and checked baggage. I've updated my previous answer to reflect this information. Thanks for the question!

tbadera
Explorer C

Can you clarify the maximum watt-hours?  Is it 100 or 160?  I have a 125Wh portable charger I'd like to take with me on an upcoming flight.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The allowable range of capacity under this particular regulation is from 100 Wh to 160 Wh, so you should be fine. It's an FAA rule.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/med...

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tbadera
Explorer C

The linked document says 100Wh is allowed, and 101-160Wh requires approval of the airline... which is why I'm asking.  If Southwest does approve 101-160Wh, is this in writing somewhere so I can show it to TSA if there are any problems?

DJF
Explorer C

Your answer of 01-05-2017 says:  "Lithium batteries are not allowed in your carryon bag, so if you have a device (charger, etc.) with a lithium battery, be sure to drop that in your checked bag!"  

But the Dept of Transportation says: "Up to 2 Spare Lithium-Ion Batteries, not installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours)" are OK in a carry on but not checked baggage. "Operator approval required. "  

http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries

So which is your policy?

Thank you,

Dennis Fitzpatrick 

March 08, 2017

DT16
Explorer C

Plz put them on the planes!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DT16 wrote:

Plz put them on the planes!!

Do you mean outlets? Piecing together several articles posted separately it sounds like Southwest will prioritize having less weight onboard and maintaining standardized planes - they don't appear to be planning to add convenience outlets any time soon.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.