Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

positive COVID test

catlively
Explorer C

I am looking to find out what happens if someone returning from Mexico to US tests positive? I am only finding refer to CDC requirements. Does that mean 10 quarantine from test date without symptoms and 14 days with symptoms? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: positive COVID test

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You have to get tested and have results before you are able to travel back to the US (within 3 days of departure back to the US). If you test positive while in another country you stay there until you test negative.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

"What happens if I test positive?

People should self-isolate and delay their travel if symptoms develop or a pre-departure test result is positive until they have recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must refuse to board anyone who does not present a negative test result for COVID-19 or documentation of recovery.

What kind of documentation of my test result or documentation of recovery do I need to present?

Before boarding a flight to the US, you will need to show a paper or electronic copy of your negative test result for review by the airline and for review upon request by public health officials after you arrive in the US."

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Technically, you don't have to then test negative.  The other option is you can go to a doctor and have them sign a note saying you no longer have symptoms and have recovered.  The concern is false positives even when you're no longer contagious.

We tested negative within three weeks of testing positive, not knowing this was an option (for going to Hawaii).  For returning from Mexico, we decided to then get the exemption rather than hassle with another test (although testing would have been easier and cheaper...amazing what a doctor charges to write a note these days).

So yes, SWA will accept a positive Covid test result, and a doctor's note of recovery, to return to the US.

That will of course mean you'll be there 10-14 more days (or more, if you still have symptoms).  But hey, it's Mexico.  I heard our hotel would put us up free.  Almost wish I had taken the test and gotten a false positive...it was a great (and expensive) hotel.

catlively
Explorer C

I am wondering about a positive test without symptoms. CDC site looks like 10 quarantine and 14 days if symptomatic. Unless false positive a person can test positive for up to 90 days. So much information, yet difficult to find an exact answer for a positive test!

gsking
Aviator C

Not sure what you're asking.   That's the exact reason why they let you get the doctor to sign off that you've recovered.   It's arguably more accurate than trying to get a negative test after you're positive.  The goal is to ensure that you're not contagious, which allegedly you aren't so many days after symptoms go away.