Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

rebooking

dontflyswa
Explorer C

I have a flight scheduled for January 10, 2020 which I have to cancel.  Covid breaks out.  I am trying to reschedule my travels to us the funds on February 26, 2021.  They will not allow it.  I have to wait until the fund expire then book my flights and loss $100. Kiss those funds good bye...  

No cancellation fees but they find other ways to steal from you...

It appears that Southwest no longer carry about their passengers.  Time to switch to a more reliable and customer friendly airline line American Airlines....

4 REPLIES 4

Re: rebooking

bec102896
Aviator A

Travel funds expire 1 year from the original date of flight purchase. This is the same on other airlines the only difference between the other guys and Southwest once the funds expire they are gone for good at least with Southwest they give you the ability to get a 6 month extension however that is on a case by case basis and it comes with a fee. This is no different than other airlines charging a fee to get expired miles reinstated. Sure we don’t like fees but when things expire sometimes fees occur to get a second chance to use the funds. 

Your welcome to share your feedback with Southwest directly though one of these contact methods Contact Customer Relations 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dontflyswa wrote:

It appears that Southwest no longer carry about their passengers.  Time to switch to a more reliable and customer friendly airline line American Airlines....

If you think AA is more customer friendly than Southwest, then it is apparent that you don't fly very much. You are in for a rude surprise - maybe several of them. 

Oh, BTW, every airline will "steal" from you if you don't  use their versions of travel funds by the expiration dates.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yeah, I did laugh out loud at that line:

@dontflyswa wrote:

Time to switch to a more reliable and customer friendly airline line American Airlines....

To the OP: Yes, unfortunately there are no more accommodations being made due to the pandemic, and funds expire at their normal 1 year timeline. The only advice I might offer in addition to the above would be to wait and see if Southwest happens to cancel the flight before you do. If so you're entitled to a full refund. You have up until as late as 10 minutes prior to departure in which to cancel and retain your travel funds (although I wouldn't cut it that close).

gsking
Aviator C

Something is missing.  You couldn't have booked a flight for January 2021 in February 2020.   Those flights didn't open for booking until April or later.

But you'd have had to, for your funds to be expiring in February.

So there is more to your story, it seems.  I'm guessing you booked and cancelled more than once, but didn't take them up on their offer to convert your funds to points.

Oops.