Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

refund help 2022 christmas

pwerner
Explorer C

Hello, 

I submitted a refund request, and got a payment for around half.  No explanation.  It says its the final payment. 

I called Customer service and they said to send a email.  So I sent a email and no reply. 

My question is what can I do.  Here is my story. I was traveling with my child and a dog.  I was dropped off in houston with no connecting flight.  i slept in the airport and rented a car.  I was emailed that if they found my luggage it would be sent to my home in illinois.  So I purchased 1 suitcase at walmart and some clothes.  i know it says they will refund hotels and food, but I didnt stay in a hotel (saved them money), I didnt keep my food receipts, I didnt turn in the tolls I paid on the drive, nor the phone charger or neck pillows from the airport ($75).  Are they giving me a partial refund because of the luggage/clothes?  am I due the full refund? I had to goto walgreens and get new prescriptions for my daughter like needles.  I didnt turn those in either. i did get my luggage 4 days later, but I wasnt expecting it. 

I sent a dm via twitter.  I just want to know their reasoning and talk to someone. 

Patty

9 REPLIES 9

Re: refund help 2022 christmas

floridaguy
Aviator C

The CEO just boasted that this was all being cleared up including luggage that was apparently sent somewhere, not necessarily the right location.

You have legal remedies.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy always "blah blah sue blah blah"

OP received their luggage so it's not clear what you are suggesting they take legal action for.  Southwest will reimburse based on receipts provided.  Seems reasonable they ask for proof of an expense.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

No one is going to have receipts for everything in their luggage.  Asking for receipts seems, to me, as a way to delay or otherwise scuttle the claim.

My advice would be to present an itemized list and assign your own values, like you do when you take a tax deduction for an item that you donate.  If that doesn't resolve the situation, then seek a legal remedy which the OP has a right to do in this country.

Crisp8
Explorer C

Where are you getting the idea that they're actually reimbursing based on receipts? I turned in all my receipts the day they put the submission form on the website and haven't gotten anything other than automated responses that day I should've gotten a response

pwerner
Explorer C

I received a partial refund, but no explanation.  I dont know if I did something wrong, or a copy of a receipt didnt go thru, or they need more info.  Just a partial payment and thats its.  No phone number to call.  I called customer service and they said they cant help me.  

The payment came thru a 3rd party and it goes to paypal.  they keep sending me emails to accept the payment.  Saying its a final payment.  I havent accepted it as Im sure once I do, the case is closed. 

I did email southwest and I got 3 replies finally.  One said well we gave you extra points to cover costs.  Well I thought that was covering the cancelled flight.  Then another said we will look into this. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's not clear if you only received refunds for items you were able to supply receipts for or if you are able to determine what the money covers.  I do suspect that Southwest is not providing refunds for anything where there is not a receipt.  Are you saying you did not receive a full refund where "full" includes the items you did not provide receipts?  Are you able to determine if the amount paid covers the receipts provided?  If you have items that you did not turn in, but do have receipts for I would suggest you submit another claim.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@pwerner wrote:

Hello, 

I submitted a refund request, and got a payment for around half.  No explanation.  It says its the final payment. 

I called Customer service and they said to send a email.  So I sent a email and no reply. 

How long since you sent the e-mail , Patty? Since SW is processing tens of thousands of claims, it might be as prompt  with e-mail replies as it normally is.

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

I received a check for the full amount of my submitted expenses due to the cancellations, although it was not  a significant amount. I suspect like the IRS, there is a peak amount that determines whether they go ahead and pay or conduct a closer examination of the claim.

If claiming significant expenses, I would make sure it is well supported.

FG you are right, most people will not have receipts for items that were in their luggage.

revbjtapley
Explorer C

I just had this happen as well. I had almost $1000 worth of extra expenses that I submitted, and yet today, I get an email stating I will be receiving less than $400. I am not happy and will escalate this further.